cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Camcorder VIXIA HFR800

jimblair
Contributor

I am having problems transferring video from my camcorder VIXIA HFR800 to my PC.  I am using Windows 7 and just saw something on line where Windows 7 does not support transferring video.  Is there a way I can still copy video from my camcorder to my PC?

14 REPLIES 14

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

You can transfer any file from the SD card by putting it into a card reader that will plug in to one of the USB ports.  Preferably buy a card reader that supports USB 3.1 which supports a faster transfer speed since video files tend to be large.

I am sure that there is probably a way to get your camcorder to transfer files directly over the USB cable with Win 7 but it will likely be far more painful than simply using a very low cost card reader plugged into your computer and the same card reader can be used for different machines or when you are forced to upgrade to another version of Windows when Win 7 support ends.

I have a XF-400 camcorder and I transfer its video files from SD cards via a card reader.  My Canon 1DX and 1DX Mark II DSLR use CF and Cfast cards respectively which don't have as rugged of a connector as SD cards so I transfer files on those using an ethernet cable.  Several times due to Win 10 patches and upgrades I have had to go back and set up those connections again.  Using a card reader insulates you from changes brought about by the folks in Redmond.

I am not sure what editing programs are included/available with Win 7 but I suspect Microsoft's Movie Maker is already installed which will provide basic editing although you will likely want something better if you do a lot with video.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

Win7.JPGYou need to download Camcorder Software 7 from the Canon website. It is compatable with Win 7.  

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

jimblair
Contributor
Thanks for the reply. However I was able to seemingly import the video to my camera via USB lady night, but I can't find the vidoes anywhere on my computer. How do I lovaye them? I imported using Windows live photo gallery and Camera Window. Is there some way I need to save the files after I import them?

jimblair
Contributor
I appreciate the input but I don't think I was specific enough on my question. I was able to seemingly import from my camera using both windows live gallery and camera window. But I have no idea if they had to be saved after importing them. Am I missing a step? How do I find them on my computer? Thanks do much for your assistance.

It has been a LONG time since I have used Win 7 but normally Windows will, by default, save files to a sub-directory of the user on the primary drive where Windows is installed.  For example by default my Win 10 setup saves imported video files to C:/Users/user/video however I changed mine to store all transfers like this to a 4 TB drive registered as F: instead of the primary system drive.

The file should be time stamped by Windows either with the creation date or import date (depending upon how and what was done during transfer).  If you don't know the name, the easiest way to search for it is use the Windows file explorer to search for all files created on the date it was transferred and if that doesn't score a hit then search for the date it was created in your camcorder.

Most Windows programs and utilities will either automatically save the imported file or ask you if you want to save when you exit the program/utility that managed the import so the file is probably on your computer already.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Thanks for posting, Jimblair.

To locate the destination folder, please take a look at the Canon CameraWindow.

With your camcorder connected to your computer, and powered on in the playback mode, when the CameraWindow opens click on the gear icon, right next to the question mark icon, then click on the "Import" button and then "Folder Settings", the import folder will appear at the top of the active Window. Typically, it's C:\Users\(Your User Name)\Pictures.

You may also "browse" for a different location, if required or desired.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

jimblair
Contributor
Why after importing a file from my SD card to my computer does the file split into 2 separate vidoes. Can you only record so long on to the SD card before it splits it up? I only recorded a 20 minute video but after transferring to my PC it only partially plays before it shuts off. Does the recording speed have anything to do with the SD card ability to record so long before it separates the video. Thanks everyone

The file format of the SD card, if is 32Gb or less, is FAT32. This has a file size limit of 4Gb. The camcorder automatically splits the files. If you use the Canon transfer utility it will stitch the files back together when transfering to your computer, or you can edit the parts together later. The majority of camcorders do this. However, if you can use a 64Gb SD card the file format is EXFAT which allows for larger file sizes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.5 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1

jimblair
Contributor
Thanks for the pertinent information. That makes it very clear. I am just getting the hang of this transfer thing.
Announcements