cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R40 scanner Twain error

guthrie
Enthusiast

I have an R40 scanner, love it - except --!!

after about a day or so of working fine, any usage gives the error:

"An error has occurred within the TWAIN driver, [Error 80FF0001]"

The only solution seems to be to reboot windows, and then all is fine again, for awhile. (Windows-64)

This basically makes it unusable - I can't reboot every time I need to use it.

Emails and calls to Cannon technical support have not helped. After two rounds of the typical "reinstall...", they sent some patch, which did not help. This seems to be a known problem in user reports and the Cannon support staff, but no solutions.

Anyone have any hints for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Cannert
Apprentice

The following process works reliably for me:

1. Stop the "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" service
    (From the Windows Start menu, type "services", click on the WIA entry, select the "stop" link at upper left).
  2. Turn on scanner and use.

It works until the next reboot.  I keep the Services app pinned to my task bar with Name sorted in reverse order so I can quickly get to the WIA service. I have uninstalled/reinstalled with the latest drivers and software and nothing else works for me.  

Be sure to write an on-line review at the store where you bought your scanner so that others will be warned of the problem and to raise visibility with Canon.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46

Cannert
Apprentice

The following process works reliably for me:

1. Stop the "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" service
    (From the Windows Start menu, type "services", click on the WIA entry, select the "stop" link at upper left).
  2. Turn on scanner and use.

It works until the next reboot.  I keep the Services app pinned to my task bar with Name sorted in reverse order so I can quickly get to the WIA service. I have uninstalled/reinstalled with the latest drivers and software and nothing else works for me.  

Be sure to write an on-line review at the store where you bought your scanner so that others will be warned of the problem and to raise visibility with Canon.

yeah... I got there too. What a waste of time and effort. I also tried their DR Scanner patch, which they swear works. Nope. It worked for a day.

$350 bucks! Geeeez. 

I have returned the **bleep** thing and I have removed Canon from my list of acceptable vendors. its too bad, I have a couple of their workgroup printers that I've liked for years. Too bad Canon no longer lives up to the brand name. I'm gonna buy one from Xerox or Epson.

This is working for me too. Thank you for the workaround! I hope there is a permanent fix coming. 

Thank you very much! I had a project of some urgency and this works--you just saved the day.

Your directions are very easy to follow.

This worked for me! I was ready to throw this scanner out the window! Thanks

Vtsasch
Apprentice

Brand new, worked once, and now all I get is TWAIN Driver Error message!
Is there a solution?
Windows 11

I'm frustrated by Canon not caring. Yes, Windows updates undercut their software & scanner, but improve your software for the machine you sold me. Stand behind your product, Canon! 

With that said, I reached out to a friend who used to work for Canon and spoke to a person who currently does who had a solution (and they CLEARLY know they have an issue, but they're leaving all of us to our own devices). So here's the solution (which I've had to do after every OS update):

1. Press Windows key + R to open [Run] dialog. 
  2. Type services.msc in the dialog and click OK to open [Services] dialog. 
  3. Right-click "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" and select property. 
  4. Choose "Disabled" in "Startup type" list and click OK. 
  5. Reboot the PC. 

It will fix it, but only until the next update. And I hope the Canon people know this costs them business. I was poised to buy an expensive color printer from them before all of this happened. Now, I'm done trusting them!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements