cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5c Picture profiles pf3 at video mode

fuselinks
Apprentice

I would like to purchase a Canon R5c. I mostly do corporate videos, so the RAW option is just fine for me. Additionally I do wedding videos using pf3 color profiles. As we know, this differs from LUT in that it uses Canon's internal image processing and you can get completely different effects than with LUT (for example, changing white balance affects the image non-linearly). So I am very concerned about image consistency with my Canon R cameras using these pf3 profiles.
My question is this - will the Canon R5c allow me to record video with the pf3 color profile? according to the specs it seems not, since the video mode is that of the c70. Maybe some update will allow this?

[Mod note: removed link per Community Guidelines]

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Without the camera being physically available, this is nearly impossible to determine.  On paper, no.  Its going to support LUT picture styles in C-LOG formats.

You appear to be knowledgeable about this.  Already knowing that Canon will record in 10 bit and the pf3 styles are 8bit.  Admittedly I am not an expert here and do not have experience with Cinema EOS.  I think User "rs-eos" Ricky does.  I would also be leery of uploading potentially unsupported picture styles to my new R5c without knowing for sure they would work.        

Canon could potentially add this function with a FW update, but you may want to hold off before basing a purchase decision on this if having specific picture styles is important to you. 

I've pinged rs-eos.  I'm sure he will reply.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It sounds like you wish to have a multi-camera setup and need to sync the look across all (even with your DSLRs).  Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with this.  I just use a single cinema camera.

You could always rent it when available to see if it would fit your workflow needs.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Here is a link to the User Video Manual for the R5c:

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/5/0300043545/01/eosr5c-aug-video-en.pdf

Appreciate this link. Have already started reading.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

You're welcome.  The manual, aside from the hardware differences, is similar to that of the C300 MK III, which is nice to see.  That said, I find it interesting that Australia has already been distributing their R5c's, while here in the US we have to wait until April 4th for shipment to begin, and we have no way of knowing where any of us sit in the cue at the various sales points.

Has anyone gotten a camera yet and is able to see if you can upload your pf3 profile for use with video?

fuselinks
Apprentice

8-bit seems fine, as I currently have 8-bit in my EOS-R.

I'm hoping Canon will release an update that will allow the existing profiles to be used. But I'm afraid they won't because my workflow is not popular.

Announcements