cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What size borders for 8.5x11 13x19 8x10 or go borderless?

Itsallaboutp
Enthusiast

I will be printing my artwork on canvas and also photography on canon luster or matte paper. If I buy 8.5x11, 13x19, 8x10 paper should i print those borderless or bordered? If bordered what size would I set the borders to fit on frames? What are the popular sizes? If I wanted to print 8.10 on 8.5x11 paper how would I go about doing that?

Thanks 

I will be printing photoshop and/or print studio pro on an imac 10.11

14 REPLIES 14

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I will be printing photoshop and/or print studio pro on an imac 10.11"

This is your biggest problem.  Make sure you have the latest of the OS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Itsallaboutp
Enthusiast
That is the latest OS

There have been lots of posts about printing problems with Mac's. Apple Releases OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan is the latest, I believe.  If you have it make sure you get the latest Canon software and drivers.

I use Win 10 and don't any of the issues as my Pro-100 works perfectly.  So I will not be able to help you with your Mac beyond this.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Canon imposes a 30mm border on heavy paper (which would be canvas and any fine art paper).

I generally print on 13x19 paper and use a 10x15 aspect ratio. This gives 1.5"margin top and bottom and two inch left and right.

You can use Print Studio Pro to set up margins, print size, etc.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I tried to get the image to 10x15 but it does not allow that size I've also tried 12x18. In Print studio pro in the layout tab If I type in 12 in the image size for height it changes the width to 15 I cannot set my own size for both height and width. This is from custom size 13x19 for paper size.
The A3+ says 13x19 in print settings tab but in layout tab it says 12.953 height and 19.016 width so entering 10 for height in this case changes width to 12.50
I printed 8x10 image on an 8.5x11 paper with no problem but 13x19 size seems to be a problem.

It sounds like perhaps you aren't starting with an image in a 2x3 aspect ratio. If you have an 8x10 image and change the short side to 10 inches the long side will become 12.5 inches.

You can print an 8x10 image on A3+ paper but it will be 12x15 max size. Its all working correctly; you just need to crop your image to a 2x3 aspect ratio.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Ok I will check that out. I just didn't know I had to do that if I am using my artwork. (as oppose to digital pics)
Because I am creating the canvas on my artwork to the size of the image I want. ie I want 8x10 pic I create 8x10 canvas in my art program. But maybe the problem is because my artwork is 13x19 and I am trying to print less than 13x19. I will keep testing thanks

I'm guessing your scanned artwork is a JPEG or TIFF file? The scanner is essentially creating a digitial picture of the aretwork.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I am not scanning it I am creating it from software on my mac. Digital Art software (Artrage) I was saving in TIFF now I save in JPEG
Announcements