cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing tweets (Pixma Pro-100)

tweetprinter
Contributor

Hey everyone, so I run a business printing tweets (it's called Framed Tweets), and after going to Fedex Office for a year, I just got a Pixma Pro-100 to print at home instead.

Problem is, the tweets I'm printing aren't nearly as crisp and clear as the prints I was getting from Kinko's. The text is a hair less-sharp, and the colors are less vibrant.

Does anyone have any ideas for the best settings to print a tweet? I'm working with a Mac and 100 lb, 275 gsm cardstock, by the way.

So you have an idea of what I'm talking about (left is Fedex's print, right is Pixma Pro 100)  [Mod Note: Image removed per forum guidelines - inappropriate language].

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The ICC profiles are intended to produce accurate color (as close as possible to the calibration color swatches) on a particular media type (surface). You could start with the Canon paper profile that you think is closest to your media type (card stock is probably conidered a matte surface)  and then in the printer driver adjust colors. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 4.49.10 PM.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

tweetprinter
Contributor

Looks like my image got censored for the profanity: here's the family-friendly version 🙂

(Left is Fedex Office's print, right is my Pixma Pro-100; note the slightly blurry, gray text + less color intensity on the "follow" button)

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 2.41.59 PM.png

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What media type are you selecting when you print? What kind of printer did FedEx use (maybe a laser printer)? Card stock (which I suspect is a matte type surface isn't the best media for a dye printer since the ink spreads. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hey John, thanks for your reply!

I've played around with a few, but nothing in the list really matches what I'm using (it's not THAT textured, but it's definitely not photo paper). I'll admit, I've only tried a few—there's so many options...

Fedex was using their massive laser printer, yup. (side note, if you can suggest a laser printer that can handle thick cardstock and prints tweets perfectly, I would be open to returning this one and getting that)

I also tried using the Canon photo paper that came with the printer (with the media setting to match), but got similarly lackluster (literally!) results.

Any suggestions for a new kind of paper and/or media type setting to try? 

Hi again. My experience with Canon paper has been excellent. What software are you printing from?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Yup, I'm sure it'll work well with the right settings! 

I'm printing from Preview on Mac—I also have Photoshop.

Check these settings in Preview

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 7.09.58 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 7.09.58 PM.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

This actually looks pretty sharp. Still, the color is a bit off. The black text is greyish, and all icons are desaturated and kind of lackluster. Here's what I mean:

(First is the Fedex print, second is Pixma Pro-100)

P1110380.JPG

P1110381.JPG

How would you suggest fixing that?

The snappiest paper I have found is Photo Paper Pro Platinum printed at highest quality.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Hey John, I'd love to switch to that paper, but I do have 1,000 sheets of this particular custom-cut tweet paper I'd like to use. Is there something I could try to get more vivid colors printed with this paper? I noticed there's a TON of color profile options—could one of those be the answer? Thanks!

Announcements