cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAGENTA CAST ON B&W PRINTS (PRO-100)

ed_vatza
Enthusiast

I thought I had my Pro-100 issues raised in a separate post all but resolved. But alas even after using Print Studio Pro, I still find a slight magenta cast in the actual print. I'm not sure what to do to correct it. I'm attaching a screen capture of the PSP settings. Any suggestions?

EDScreen Shot 2016-04-17 at 10.18.36 AM.png

Canon 5DMkIII...Canon 35mm f/1.4L II... Canon 50mm f/1.2L... Canon 85mm f/1.8... Canon 135mm f/2.0L
and dare I add... a Canon F-1 with 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm FD lenses
Pixma Pro-100 & Epson 3800 Printers
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Just got off the phone with Canon. One line take away... there's nothing you can do.

I was told my setting are all correct.  The magenta cast is due to the ink being dye based and it is more pronounced the glossier the paper. According to the printer rep, the color casting should be better with semi-gloss than with gloss and better with luster than semi-gloss and even better with matte than with luster. 

Otherwise there is nothing I can do. Oh well. I guess I will run a Epson 3800/Canon PRO-100 comparison on Moab Entrada Matte which I have here.

FOLLOW UP -- I ran a comparison using Red River Artic Polar Satin (semi-gloss for Canon printers and luster for Epson printers). No cast. Both look the same. SUCCESS!  It's all about the papers. 

Ed

Canon 5DMkIII...Canon 35mm f/1.4L II... Canon 50mm f/1.2L... Canon 85mm f/1.8... Canon 135mm f/2.0L
and dare I add... a Canon F-1 with 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm FD lenses
Pixma Pro-100 & Epson 3800 Printers

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Ed, I'm also frustrated with magenta casts on b&w pints from my Canon printer. Even with Canon papers. I haven't done as extensive testing as you with various papers. My printer is a Canon Pixma ip8720 which I bought last year to replace an Epson Workforce 30. The jets clogged on a couple of colors but up 'til then I was getting absolutely neutral b&w prints on Red River Premium Matte 2-sided. I'm only interested in making b&w prints for books I'm making - not "fine art" but documentary and street photographs. But prints from the Pixma are disappointing on the RR paper and also Canon Premium Matte paper. Sometimes greenish but mostly magenta casts. I'm not very experienced in this arena of ink jet printing - I'm mostly and still a wet darkroom printer. I just want to make these books. Anyway, last week I finally contacted RR customer support about my problem and after a little bit of back and forth about color management, profiles, etc which I can just barely understand, one of the reps said that one of the characteristics of Canon printers is that they tend towards magenta casts. I thought WHAT??? After a seach on this forum - where I'd been posting my magenta issue for a few weeks with no real solutions - I found several posters agreeing that Canon printers in general do favor magenta casts on b&w and color prints. Although many others had no such problems. Sorry to go on and on but just wanted to confirm your problem with Canon printers and magenta casts is a given. I've now settled on Office Depot Pro Photo Matte 2-sided which is giving me pretty good b&w with no casts if I keep the contrast up. I've limited myself to 2-sided matte papers which narrows my paper choices. I'm even considering going back to Epson.         

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

B&W printing with dye inks can be tough. I am able to get excellent, to my judgment, monochrome prints with my PRO-100.

Two things to work on: 1. the PRO-100 only uses the the gray inks for fine art printing. If your paper type doesn't say to use a Canon fine art media pick a FA media that is comparable, i.e. Fine Art Premium Matte instead of Matte Photo Paper. (you will have to live with the 30mm margin though). 2. use Print Studio Pro and print the ring-around test pattern to fine tune the adjustments.

I also found I have better luck converting the image to B&W with Silver Efex Pro or a similar program and then printing it as if it was a color image. Don't select Grayscale or B&W in the printer driver.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements