cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon pro-100 firmware upgrade from 1.1 to 2031

ducmis
Contributor

I havent been using my printer so i haven't been doing my firmwares updates like i should.  I missed 1.2 and 1.3, now i want to update it to the latest firmware and it keeps giving me an error.  I have tried my windows 10 and windows 7 and  both are giving me the same error while updating the firmware.   it shuts down the printer mid way and says it cannot connect to the printer.  no data transfers.   drivers are installed on the computer and it works, and it can print.  i just want to update the firmware.  If someone can kindly help me with this, thank you in advance.

111 REPLIES 111

Hi rubinjm, A day after talking to Canon support I received a survey. When I replied to the survey I gave them a link to our posts. Since I haven't seen a post from someone from Canon I'm not sure they even pay any attention to their own surveys. I'm going to call Canon support again tomorrow.

Italianman
Contributor
I gave to Canon Italy the link too,
I have no hopes.

beachman
Apprentice

Exact same issue using Windows 10 with a USB cable directly conected to PRO-100 printer. Trying to upgrade from V1.100 to V2.031 with latest Printer Update utlity. Upgrade fails and displays the error below. Will monitor this thread in hopes for a solution.

Canon PRO-100 FM Upgrade Error

dspaude
Apprentice

I have the same issue, but with the Canon PIXMA PRO-10 with 1.110 firmware trying to upgrade to 2.031.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers...

I've tried using macOS Catalina (Apple) and Windows 10 (HP). Both fail the same way as described in this thread. I did NOT try connecting the laptops to power, but from what I've read that doesn't appear to help. I'll keep trying other variations, but it sure seems like Canon didn't test this. If we're not supposed to be able to upgrade from 1.xxx to 2.xxx, then they should say that on their site.

michael3442
Apprentice

What benefit is there to installing a new firmware version? If a printer is printing properly, it might be best to stay with what works, I have several printers, one being an Epson office printer and when the firmware was updated it eliminated my ability to use third party inks (which were identical to the very pricey Epson inks). That was an expensive lesson - leave well enough alone.

You make a good point, Michael 3442.  It would help us all if companies would provide firmware details so that we can make a reasoned choice whether to upgrade. I did upgrade and saw a few changes, including new printing choices for Canon papers.  

That's what we're trying to find out - by installing the update & testing it - what benefit is there? Canon is notorious for not documenting specific details of firmware updates. Unfortunately, this update is broken and can't be installed for many of us. Myself, I'm hopeful the firmware update will allow for longer maximum print length, like Canon did with a recent update to the PRO-1000.

Maybe it will print longer papers now. Using Elements print software I chose A3+ (13 x 19 size) and entered a paper size of 16 x 30 inches.  And I asked for an image size of 26 wide and the software selected 12.444 high.  I chose Other Fine Art Paper 1. and the printing software did not object.  I did not make a print because I don't have that size paper.  But you might give it a whirl and let us know if that works in the real world.  Also, I did not try using Print Studio Pro for this dry run.

@jimre wrote:
That's what we're trying to find out - by installing the update & testing it - what benefit is there? Canon is notorious for not documenting specific details of firmware updates. Unfortunately, this update is broken and can't be installed for many of us. Myself, I'm hopeful the firmware update will allow for longer maximum print length, like Canon did with a recent update to the PRO-1000.

Maybe. I wish I could try it - but as per multiple posts above, the new firmware update does NOT install for many people, including me. It fails with blinking orange lights & an error code. 

The previous PRO-100 firmware/driver version already supports maximum custom paper length of 26.6 inches. Its big sister printer - the PRO-1000 - recently received a firmware update that extends maximum custom paper length from 25.5 inches to 47.2 inches. So I was hoping this new firmware update would do likewise for the PRO-100. Unfortunately, the update is broken and simply doesn't install for many people.

I have a box of Red River 13x38 paper that I'd love to print super-wide panoramas on. RIght now, I can only print on the first 26.6 inches of it. 

@canonsky wrote:

Maybe it will print longer papers now. Using Elements print software I chose A3+ (13 x 19 size) and entered a paper size of 16 x 30 inches.  And I asked for an image size of 26 wide and the software selected 12.444 high.  I chose Other Fine Art Paper 1. and the printing software did not object.  I did not make a print because I don't have that size paper.  But you might give it a whirl and let us know if that works in the real world.  Also, I did not try using Print Studio Pro for this dry run.

@jimre wrote:

Canizorro
Apprentice

Adding my name to the list. I can not update to the latest firmware. Getting the same amber lights and error messages.

Announcements