cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't my Pixma MX410 work wirelessly? Blue light is on, but computer says it's offline.

egghead8488
Apprentice

I have repeatedly used the "easy setup" to get the printer on the network. sometimes it will work, but most of the time I am getting an error message that says that my printer is offline. It works fine if I connect by USB, but I bought it so I wouldn't HAVE to connect with a cord. I wanted a WIRELESS printer.

36 REPLIES 36

Me too, can't access it via either of the laptops. Blue light working fine, can print via USB cable. Used to work fine, now won't really frustrating. Even got virgin out thinking it was them, got a new hub, but made no difference whatsoever. Really frustrating canon. I have accessed online troubleshooting etc etc. It guzzles ink like nobody's business. Am thinking of buying a new printer, one that will work and would avoid buying canon again!

Solved Issue!!!
Go into your printer and print out your Network Configuration, then use windows 8 to connect to it by IP address manually (DO NOT use the cannon software if running windows 8!!!) In windows 8 go to add a printer and after it doesnt detect it, you will then be able to add by name/ IP or manually. I select IP and set mine up within 1 minute. I hope this helps some of you out.

Thanks Knowitall1979!!!!!!!   I didnt want to sit on hold with customer service, get transfered multiple times, explain my story multiple times, etc etc....    Obviously there is an issue because the internet is full of this complaint. For the canon rep on this forum to say contact cust service is BS!!.  I have an expensive gaming router and FIOS internet. I am running windows 8 on a brand new laptop. I am sitting 5 feet from router. No reason it shouldnt work.   Knowitall1979 your solution worked. Thank you Thank You Thank You!!!!!

ANOTHER SOLVE.

Hi to all.  Same issue and hope this helps...

Couldn't understand why this was happening when blue light was on to say connected but showing as offline.

Realised after trying a few times that when sending to print I could select which printer I wanted to use.

For me this was a drop down box.

There were 2 printers (my model) the same and when I selected the other it worked wirelessly!!!

Almost like the software created 2 installations.  One for wireless and one for non?  

Interested to see if this works for anyone else.

Best of luck!

YES!!!!

This worked for me in windows 7. i inherited the pixma MP560 from my mum so didn't have the CD. drivers installed fine through plug n play, printer connected to wireless just fine, but as soon as the usb cable was removed, the printer greyed out in my devices list, and it said it was offline.

added the device by IP address and now she works great. can now print from my laptop wherever i am working to the printer on the office.

Thanks so much

mintmale1
Apprentice

Had the same problem. Before you start anything try this.

1-When you try to print something an Icon of a printer appears in your bottom taskbar.

2-Double click on the printer icon and when it opens click on printer. Make sure that

"use printer offline" is "NOT clicked on" or your printer will say that your printer is off line

and not print.

Bought a new printed but decided to try and get my wireless Canon MX410 working.

I tried to re install it and when it asked me to try reinstalling again because of a failed attempt,

I first looked at the settings on the printer and this is how I fixed my problem.

1- Press the (Menu )button.

2- Keep pressing Menu till you get to (device) setting.

3- Scroll by pressing the right arrow under the plus sign

till (LAN setting) appears and press OK.

4- Now scroll again to find ( Wireless LAN setup)

press OK. Chose (easy setup ) when it come up, press OK.

5- A search comes up and ask you to select access point.

6- Chose the name you gave your router by scrolling and

press OK

7- Enter passphrase comes up. Enter your router's password now.

8- Use the star (*) on your printer's number pad to change CAPITAL,

small or numbers ( e.g... Ab1) to enter your password one letter or number at a time.

9- I continued the setup I first started and this time, for me everything was OK.

I first looked at the settings on the printer and this is how I fixed my problem.

1- Press the (Menu )button.

2- Keep pressing Menu till you get to (device) setting.

3- Scroll by pressing the right arrow under the plus sign

till (LAN setting) appears and press OK.

4- Now scroll again to find ( Wireless LAN setup)

press OK. Chose (easy setup ) when it come up, press OK.

5- A search comes up and ask you to select access point.

6- Chose the name you gave your router by scrolling and

press OK

7- Enter passphrase comes up. Enter your router's password now.

8- Use the star (*) on your printer's number pad to change CAPITAL,

small or numbers ( e.g... Ab1) to enter your password one letter or number at a time.

9- I continued the setup I first started and this time, for me everything was OK.

I followed these instructions and I see that it is connected to the (new) router, but no IP-address is shown, although the printout gives an ip-address. Pinging that ip-address gives nothing as well. I'm completely lost. It worked before, even after installing a new router and using the same Wifi SSID and passphrase, but now it has stopped completely. Weird.

Anyone a clue?

Update: noticed that on the router for Wifi automatic channel was chosen but the printout mentioned port 11. Changed it to 11 in the router and the printer came to life. 😉

knowitall1979
Apprentice
What OS are you running? And what version?
Make sure your printer is connected to the same network or it will be like calling a number that's not in service.
(ex: if your using wifi make sure they're both accessing the same WAP (wireless access point)
Reboot the printer and see if it connects automatically, if so verify the printer network settings are the same as your computers network connection.

I had an issue once due to my PC being directly wired and running wireless, while my printer on wifi, and it would sometimes see it sometimes not.

Networking is simple but complicated, try to be specific with type of computer, OS, WAP type and distance. These help people help you.

tdalcorn
Apprentice

Nothing works for me....I have tried all of the suggestions....I even downloaded new software onto my laptop from the Canon site....nothing!!!!  I took the printer within 10 feet of the wifi router....nothing.....NOTHING works!!!!  So frustrating!!!

Hi tdalcom,

So we can better assist you, please let us know what operating system is on your computer (Windows XP, Vista,7, 8, 8.1 or version of Mac OS X).  Also, if you print the LAN Details of the printer by following the steps below, what are the values in the Wireless LAN, Connection, and Signal Strength fields?

1. Make sure that the machine is turned on.

2. Load a sheet of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper in the Rear Tray.

3. Press the Menu button repeatedly and select Device settings.

4. Use the LEFTRIGHT button to select LAN settings, then press the OK button.

5. Use the LEFTRIGHT button to select Print LAN details, then press the OK button.

We look forward to hearing from you!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements