cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon g7x mark ii Firmware not listed on set up menu

ayyy
Apprentice

There is no firmware option in my setup menu, making it impossible to send photos to image.canon. I have already tried switching the mode to a creative modes (P, Av, etc.) and playback mode, but it is still not coming up on my menu. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Shadowsports and 5Div, thanks for your help in trying to solve my issue. I finally solved my problem, by doing 2 things differently. Not sure which did it, but in the event others run into this problem the firmware option did not turn up for me until I

A. Used a Different Card and B. Used a different reader to install firmware on the card. My inclination is think that it was the using a different card.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is a page from the firmware update instructions.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 210132.jpg

I have this issue. I have tried everything I can find out. The "firmware install" never appears on my Canon G7X Mark II.

I have tried the following:

Used three different SD cards. Two SanDisk and One Kingston
Used an external SD card reader, used a card reader that is built into a laptop and a second card reader on a PC (instead of a Mac)

Set the camera to "P" mode and to "M" mode

The firmware install toggle never appears.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What mode is the top dial in before pressing the playback button and menu buttons?

Do you have an SD card in the camera with the firmware file on it?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi, I have tried placing the dial under several program modes as well as Manual. There was no difference at all. Regarding an SD card, yes I do have one in there. I have tried it with two different firmware files, both the newest one as well as the oldest that I could download from the Canon site. FWIW, I have two pictures in one of the posts above showing two different versions of the playback menu where the the firmware should be. What's interesting is that I can now only get to the one with two tabs rather than the 6 displayed in the other image. Note sure how I originally got to the one with the 6 as I can't get back to it. Thanks for trying to help as I am at a real loss. I have updated the firmware of many cameras ant the like in the past and I have never had such difficulty. I must be missing something and I just can't figure out what.

Shadowsports and 5Div, thanks for your help in trying to solve my issue. I finally solved my problem, by doing 2 things differently. Not sure which did it, but in the event others run into this problem the firmware option did not turn up for me until I

A. Used a Different Card and B. Used a different reader to install firmware on the card. My inclination is think that it was the using a different card.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Cheers and congrats.  👍  Bob will be happy to hear this also.  Hope you are using a full size memory card and not a micro SD with adapter.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have this issue. I have tried everything I can find out. The "firmware install" never appears on my Canon G7X Mark II.

I have tried the following:

Used three different SD cards. Two SanDisk and One Kingston
Used an external SD card reader, used a card reader that is built into a laptop and a second card reader on a PC (instead of a Mac)

Set the camera to "P" mode and to "M" mode

The firmware install toggle never appears.

silsurf
Contributor

OMG, it just worked! I was looking at the wrong menu? I thought is was in the tools menu, but it is in the playback (blue) menu. I hope that anyone reading through this will get a heads up.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Congrats.  Glad you figured it out.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements