cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon mf642cdw doesn't connect to PC

sarushka
Apprentice

This is the story (very long one short):
canon mf642cdw, driver installed, printer and scanner worked. After a few days I tried to scan again. It would connect to phone but not to laptop. I removed the device and wanted to add it again but PC couldn't find it. Ever since I wasted so many hours unistalling everything connected to this printer, trying to reinstall - in vain as PC can't find the printer to connect, disabling antivirus, firewalls, resetting some network settings, milion of restarts of PC, printer and modem. All in vain.

Meanwhile mobile prints and scans.

PC has Windows 10, all updated.

Any idea what I can do to make work your extremely flawed machine canon mf642cdw?

It is not like I forgot how to add a printer. I have done it with numerous printers before it and even with this one - for the first time it worked. What went wrong and just a few days of using it?

PS. Plus would you mind paying me for at least two full days of work wasted on working on the product you probably should have never released? Shame. 

1 REPLY 1

Darius
Whiz

Hello sarushka.

The Canon Community Forum is not for immediate assistance. If this is a time-sensitive matter and you are in the U.S.A., click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE. You can also contact technical support at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) Monday-Friday from 10:00 am to 6:30 pm ET, excluding holidays.

If the MF642Cdw is working properly from the mobile device, then the printer is working normally, and the problem is either with the way the computer is connecting to the network, or with the computer's security and networking settings.  If your computer is connecting through a VPN, it will behave as if on the remote network, not the network through which it's connecting.  If your computer is connecting to 5G, try switching it to the 2.4 GHz connection.

To confirm the printer is being allowed to communicate with the computer, you may use the printer's Ping function to reach out to the computer's IP address. The computer's IP address will be in the computer's network settings information.  Refer to the computer's support for directions on finding its IP address.

Regarding your financial claim, the relevant excerpt from the Warranty is:

• NEITHER CANON USA NOR ANY SERVICE PROVIDER SHALL BE LIABLE FOR PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE (UNLESS CAUSED SOLELY AND DIRECTLY BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF CANON USA OR ANY SERVICE PROVIDER), LOSS OF REVENUE OR PROFIT, FAILURE TO REALIZE SAVINGS OR OTHER BENEFITS, EXPENDITURES FOR SUBSTITUTE EQUIPMENT OR SERVICES, LOSS OR CORRUPTION OF DATA, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, STORAGE CHARGES OR OTHER SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE USE, MISUSE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRODUCT, REGARDLESS OF THE LEGAL THEORY ON WHICH THE CLAIM IS BASED AND EVEN IF CANON USA OR ANY SERVICE PROVIDER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. NOR SHALL RECOVERY OF ANY KIND AGAINST CANON USA OR ANY SERVICE PROVIDER BE GREATER IN AMOUNT THAN THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE PRODUCT CAUSING THE ALLEGED DAMAGE. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THE PURCHASER ASSUMES ALL RISKS AND LIABILITY FOR LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY TO PERSONS AND PROPERTY OF THE PURCHASER OR OTHERS ARISING OUT OF THE POSSESSION, USE, MISUSE, OR INABILITY TO USE THE PRODUCT NOT CAUSED SOLELY AND DIRECTLY BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF CANON USA OR ANY SERVICE PROVIDER. THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT EXTEND TO ANYONE OTHER THAN THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER OF THE PRODUCT AND STATES SUCH PURCHASER'S EXCLUSIVE REMEDY.

THIS WARRANTY APPLIES TO PRODUCTS SOLD AND USED IN THE U.S.A. ONLY.

If you are outside of the U.S.A., refer to the branch of Canon for your region for information on support and warranty coverage.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements