cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange picket fence pattern on color copies with new MF644CDW

kidziti
Contributor

It is hard to explain this failure mode on my new Canon ImageClass, but when I select color copy using the default settings, it is as if a white picket-fence template has been placed over the image. Selecting B&W from the same Copy menu - again all default settings - does not do this. Scanning images in either B&W or color also do not exhibit this behavior. I am enclosing a picture of part of the image (which is a check) that should explain the situation better than my words (please pardon the lighting and the shadow).

Is this a defect (in which case I figure it needs to be exchanged) or - more likely - some user error on my part where I'm not doing something correctly? This is literally a brand new printer (bought from Canon through Amazon) that has been turned on for the first time less than a week ago. I have since tried a color copy of a magazine cover and it came out perfectly, so I suspect I am not doing something right.

IMG_20210405_190051.jpg

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Not sure if this is related...  I believe there is some kind of block that all printer manufacturers have that keeps you from printing monetary denominations, negotiable instruments, etc (counterfeit money).  

Normally they come out legible, but with picket breaks like yours shows.  Is it just this image?  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

That would be an interesting issue if it turns out to be the case. The image was of a check. So far, it seems to just have been this image. I did a color copy of a magazine cover and it was fine. I will see what happens if I try to copy a dollar bill and report back.

Well - how interesting. It is similar when I scan it, except that the pattern flows horizontally instead of vertically. While I have no interest in copying parchment currency, the item in question was a check - something I often copy or scan before sending for my own records. I am coming to the realization that then is not a defect in the machine but an artificially imposed restriction.

When I look at the corner of the check, there are a series of yellow dots. Apparently those are the details in the check that the scanner reads as a "do not copy" item. Googling around, it seems that checks without those yellow dots are scannable. Interesting journey this question took me on.

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Kidziti,

That looks like the scanner picked up something that it should should not duplicate. The scanner will stop processing or put lines through certain legal documents, protected images and currency.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements