cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxify MB2720 skipping lines

jen121361
Apprentice

I have a Maxify MB2720 that starting skipping lines in MS Office 2013 products (outlook, excel and word) will print with other programs. ANY HELP?????

20 REPLIES 20

Having exact same problem.  Any resolution to this? I cleaned the timing strip but the result is still the same.

20200919_150433.jpg

My MB2720 just started doing this exact same thing!  It's only about 2.5 years old. When Printing or Copying in Standard quality, it skips two of every three lines (or so) of text.  When printing in High Quality, it usually prints everything but the black is very light.  And the print head check pattern looks exactly like the one in the previous post - missing the bottom half of the black pattern, but what is printed of it looks fine.

I have tried every single head cleaning procedure under the Maintenance Menu.

And there is no grease visible on the Timing Strip.

I put in a new black ink tank, no difference.

This just started happening, and I tried updating my firmware (have 3.05 which it says is current) and also updated the Windows Print driver (though since this happens when copying, I didn't think it had anything to do with the print driver).

Is the only solution anyone found to sledge hammer it and go back to Epson quality printers?

Following....mine is doing the same thing!!

Bengus81
Contributor

Yep...same here on my MB2720 that just started today and is exactly as everyone else has described. Just checked my receipts....bought my 2720 on Jan 11 2019 from B&H.

I cleaned the strip and did get some black off of it. Doesn't look like any "grease" looks more like a bit of black ink. I haven't had a paper jam in a year. Still have the same missing lines after cleaning the strip. Printing out the page after cleaning the cartridges comes out exactly the same as those who have posted a pic--the black part at the top is missing lines,yet the colors all print out fine.

Printing out some documents the header always prints out perfect and then the exact same lines skip the printing when comparing them after printing out 2-3 copies of the same doc. I'll try clean the strip again but I doubt it makes any difference.

Oh boy...I get to be part of the non-working Canon printer club!!!!!    This is nonsense on a printer used only for home use and is a mere two years old.

Bengus81
Contributor

I've now cleaned the strip twice front and back and no change,still skips lines. Funny though IF you select HIGH quality printing you'll get all your text printed out--and use a hell of alot more ink.

This is a problem with this printer and the black cart ONLY IMO. I can print out a color test pattern and ALL the colors print fine but the black is faded and washed out. Yes...my black cartridge has plenty of ink in it.

Ok....try this test...make a document in MS WORD with several lines and no color and print it out in HIGH quality. It will print fine although I think the black is still a little washed out. NOW go to the same document and using the highlighting feature in WORD highlight a few words in green,yellow whatever. Now print the document. You get NO lines of text in black,only the part you highlighted.

Adding it all up between the cost of my 2720,the four carts that are in it and my spare cartridges I'm now looking at a $200+ BRICK that's become worthless overnight. The fact that others were having this EXACT same problem 2-3 YEARS ago shows that Canon has know about this MAJOR problem and has done nothing about it.

Yeah, quite a short life for such a massive heap of plastic.  I've gone with a Brother Inkvestment printer as a replacement.  Louder and not as fast, but I was too frustrated to give Canon more $ and take a chance on another product with such a short lifespan.

This is nuts. I made a word doc and it finally printed, thanks!    Thing is I'm printing barcodes for packages and ONLY the barcodes are getting blank stripes of no ink. When I use the copier no streaks but very light overall. This is total BS. I replaced all ink cartridges. Machine only 1.5 years old. Thanks for the workaround for today, though, much appreciated!

Bengus81
Contributor

For those who have this happen you can do some work arounds and print perfectly...but in black only. You need to make changes in your printer system box that pops up when you print. You might have printer box pop up on the right side of your screen depending on what your printing but you need to click where it says  "Print using system dialog...." and make some changes and then save them. While your in that box that pops up on the right side make sure to click to print in " Black and White".

Click on that line to acess the system box that pops up on the left side of the screen. You can do it from right here,no need to close out this page, just click on FILE and then PRINT up on your toolbar.

1. Click on "Preferences"

2. Click on "Grayscale Printing"

3. Click on "Print Quality--HIGH"

4. Click on "Always print with current settings"

5. Click on the Tab at the top that say MAIN

6. Click on Print quality "HIGH" radio button

7  Click on Color/Intensity "Manual" radio button. Click on the "SET" button

8. Change intensity button to 20-25 to darken the black printing. Click OK

9. Click on the grayscale box just under the Color/Intensity box

10. Click OK to leave the "MAIN" tab page. A new box will pop up

11. Read the box stating "all these changes will be used on subsequent printings" then click OK

12. DONE

Try some test printings including printing out an email or two. You could start by printing this page--I'd set the printer to only print pages 1-1. You should get a decent print out and all lines should print. 

If you don't print in color that much this should serve your needs OR donate the printer to Goodwill or someone instead of tossing this huge mass in a landfill.

And Canon.....YOU should make this RIGHT with your customers by paying to fix the printer OR a voucher for a discount on a new MB2720.

I cleaned the encoder strip and retried printing, but what happened then was I got error 5702 every time I tried to print or copy. I mean that the careful cleaning of the strip resulted in no more print capability. Since the cleaning worsened the behavior, I figured more cleaning was in order, so I cleaned with a Q tip several more times. No change. Then I used a electronics spray cleaner to douse the strip. No change. I'll let it dry out for a day and see if it's still dead. Crazy; this is only about a year old. 

Thanks! This works however I need to print in color as well. 

Announcements