cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imageclass Color MF644Cdw - setting up wifi printing

mikegmazzone
Contributor

Hello,

I have a Canon Color Imageclass MF644Cdw. I am running Windows 11, on an HP laptop. The printer will work when connected to the USB port. However, does this printer have ability to print without being connected to the laptop via usb directly, such as wifi printing?

If so, how do I set that up? The printer is connected to our wifi network in the settings menu.

HP laptop 17     

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz 1.20 GHz

Windows 11 Home   21h2   osbuild  22000.318

Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.318.0

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Yes, wireless printing is supported.  Drivers for W11 have not been released yet, but W10 drivers will likely work.  

There are a few ways to accomplish this.  

First steps:

Verify the printer's IP address on your network.  You can view this on the printer under its Network settings, or from your router's admin portal under connected devices.  I personally would recommend assigning the printer a static or reserved IP on your network.  This ensures a consistent connection (one that doesn't change).      

Once you have the IP....

Start Menu > Control Panel > Device and Printers

Right click on the printer and select Remove Device from the context menu.

***Important step >Disconnect the printer from the USB connection now

Now look above and select Add A Printer  

Dialog opens, Click the "The Printer I Want Is Not Listed" text

Then select "Add a printer using TCP/IP or hostname" radio button, then press Next

Enter the IP address you verified/set above in the "Hostname or IP address" address field.

Press Next

Printer will be queried and added

Test printing.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

thank you!

bad news, i dont have the username or pw for the admin menus.... how do i get that?

Greetings,

If you provide the make and model, I might be able to point you in the right direction.

If the device was issued by your ISP, the log in information might be printed on the bottom or side, on a sticker, etc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Imageclass Color MF644Cdw

I dont see any stickers with the codes

Hello Mikegmazzone,

If the printer is connected to your network and you don't know the printer's IP address or have your username or password, you can try removing the USB connection from your printer list and downloading and installing the drivers for the printer to see if it can find the printer's network connection.

You can press the Windows key and the letter R key at the same time on your keyboard. In the run box that appears, you can type in control printers and click OK. In the Window that comes up, you can right click on the connections for the printer and select remove device. Once the connections are gone, you can download and install the recommended driver for the printer using the link HERE. During the driver setup, you can select the network option for the install and it will search your network for the printer connection.

If the setup does not find a connection for the printer, I would suggest contacting support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to check the connection for the printer and help you complete the network setup.

mikegmazzone
Contributor

Hello, i am bringing this thread up from almost a year ago. I havent needed wireless printing, but I will now.

I got stuck last time as it asked for system manager id and pin. I have not or do not remember changing these when i got the printer from staples in 2020. I am using this in my home office. Also 7654321 didnt work. I then tried calling canon support but havent gotten anyone on the phone the last 2 attempts. 

Hello Mikegmazzone,

If you need the manager id and pin reset, you would need to contact support over the phone at 1-800-652-2666. The printer would need to be registered to a MyCanon account to call in for support. When trying to call in for support, did you get any recorded messages, did the call drop or what problems did you run into?

mikegmazzone
Contributor

Thank you everyone for your help. I am sorry to keep bringing up an old thread, but business is expanding.

I have successfully reset the admin pin by doing the following after getting help from Canon Support,

Power off then On

Home Screen

Volume Level Button ---> Volume Settings

Press Stop Button 5x

Press Volume again

Enter Code 43810 then apply

Hit yes to the FBL notification

Back to the Code screen, press back, completed.

The printer will now wirelessly print from a mobile phone or laptop, however I am still having trouble with scan to laptop and scan to email.

Is there another app that I should be using other than the "MF Scan Utility" ?

To refresh, I am running,

HP laptop 17     

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz 1.20 GHz

Windows 11 Home  22H2

Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621

OS Build 22621.1265

Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0

Thank you in Advance.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Seems you have made quite a bit of progress over time.  My initial reply was in regard to logging into your router, so you could see and set a static or reserved IP for the printer.  ISP issued hardware often has a label or sticker which includes this information.  I am sorry of this wasn't clear. 

The Remote UI or Manager ID reset for the printer requires assistance from Canon.  It seems you got this help and were able to access the printers advanced menus for settings and configuration.

Scan to Destination and Scan to Email often requires an advanced understanding of hostname, user accounts and file permissions (computer). Scan to Email is similar in that configuration can vary based on the mail service you use for message relay.  Gmail, Microsoft, Comcast, Spectrum, etc (printer)

You can make these settings in the remote UI.  

Here is your printers user manual.

Canon - imageCLASS MF746Cdw / MF745Cdw / MF743Cdw / MF741Cdw / MF644Cdw / MF642Cdw / MF641Cw - User'...

Scan to Destination Configuration:

Registering Destinations from Remote UI - Canon - imageCLASS MF746Cdw / MF745Cdw / MF743Cdw / MF741C...

Scan to Email:  This is a bit more complex.  You can set two items.  First, you can add destination email addresses for frequently used recipients. Second, you have to tell the printer what mail service it will use to send the mail.

Configuring E-Mail/I-Fax Communication Settings - Canon - imageCLASS MF746Cdw / MF745Cdw / MF743Cdw ...

If you have additional questions after you've reviewed the information above, we'll do our best to help.  If you tell us what email service you plan to use, I'll try to provide this as well.

Example:

Office 365 SMTP settings
  • Server name: smtp.office365.com.
  • Port: 587.
  • Encryption method: SSL/TLS.
  • SMTP authentication: ticked.
  • Authentication: your password.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements