cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imageclass LBP622Cdw Concerns?

Bo3b
Contributor

A few questions/concerns regarding new Imageclass LBP622Cdw printer;

1. Update firmware request via printer LCD console returns - "Communication Error: Cannot check firmware version"
    (from PC Remote UI - Main controller v05.18, Boot ROM v02.01, DCON v02.01, Language v01.15)
    If current firmware and/or no update available - Would still expect Printer direct check to succeed?

2. Sporadically printer activates "Data Error" light on front panel.
    (Error code E733-005 which decodes as; Communication error between the Engine Controller PCB and the Main Controller PCB occurred. Remedy: Turn OFF and then ON the main power.)
    2x times in 3 days typically during idle/Eco mode - Not consistent or predictable. Recovers with power cycle
    What's going on with this error? Serious?

3. Canon Print Utility (v12.7.0.0) main screen reports - "The toner status cannot be displayed"

4. After each print job Printer repeatedly (~7x times?) displays - "Correcting... Wait a moment..." message.
    Suspect some sort of Image Quality adjustment but wondering Why so many?
    And how to eliminate?

5. Finally, method to check S/N history? Would like to confirm printer is new or possible refurb.
Are all these observations related? Overall, so far printing appears to work fine.

Printer is connected via Ethernet.
Remote UI from PC appears to work as expected although connection seems slow.
Window 10 (64 bit) Home version 2004.

Thanks,
Bob

12 REPLIES 12

Bo3b
Contributor

Update(s):

Front panel "Data Error"

Recurrences;

7-Dec

8-Dec

10-Dec

13-Dec

16-Dec

18-Dec

Update Manin Controller firmware to v06.03

22-Dec

Can't pinpoint exact time of Error but appears at least somewhat periodic.

In light of Canon Print Utility problems (see original post) with Toner Status - Could Error be related to firmware check of Toner Cartridges? Perhaps with the check "reset" each print job which might explain the intervals of error.

(Need to understand, resolve issues before Printer return period. Haven't been able to get through to Canon support on phone - Wait times are over 1 hour! Does Canon monitor and repsond to issues in this forum?)

Thanks,

Bob

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Bob,

The E733-055 error is something that a firmware update can help resolve. When checking the firmware, the printer will give you a message that is is up to date if it has the most current version or give you the option update if it is not. If it can't check the firmware, it looks like it has a poor connection or something is blocking it from checking online for the latest firmware.

If the connection is slow, it might point to the issue with checking the firmware. You can try unplugging your router for 5 seconds and then plugging it back in. Once the network is back up, you can try the firmware update again to see if you get the same error. If that fails, you can try resetting the network settings using the steps in the link HERE and then reconnecting to your router.

If you are still unable to check or update the firmware, I would suggest calling in for support to see what might be going on. The forums are more for the Canon community of users to assist each other and share their experience. For more in depth support and faster responses, I would suggest calling us at  1-800-652-2666.

The printer does perform several quality checks and corrections. To change the settings you can access the quality options using the steps provided in the link HERE. You can set it to off or to only correct when turning the power on.

To check the serial, you can check with phone support to see if it has been used before. If you were able to register the printer for support, chances are that is has not been used.

@Hector wrote:

Hello Bob,

The E733-055 error is something that a firmware update can help resolve. When checking the firmware, the printer will give you a message that is is up to date if it has the most current version or give you the option update if it is not. If it can't check the firmware, it looks like it has a poor connection or something is blocking it from checking online for the latest firmware.

Can't seem to get Printer past "Comm Error" for firmware check/upgrade. And Canon Support webPage for Model does NOT appear to list new firmware available.

Can you confirm that firmware listed in orginal post is current?

On "HOLD" (55 minutes and waiting...) with Canon Technical Support as I type this...

Thanks for the reply.

Bob

For some unknown explanation the Printer firmware update finally completed - No changes on install end just simply decided to "Connect" and update via console "Update Firmware -> via Internet" request. Current is now v06.03 for Main Controller.

Unfortunately the E733-005 error recurred - About 4 days from previous. Seems to occur on some periodic schedule.

Wondering... Does Canon firmware automatically, on some schedule, routinely check for upgrades? Or does the Printer check-in with the mothership for any other reason?

Thinking perhaps whatever Canon webPages needed are down and that is why the update suceeded, Canon firmware repository was available, others times not and ugrade fails...

Thanks for any feedback, help. Printer appears to otherwise functioning fine and hate to go through hassle of return only to find error/issues are not actually hardware caused.

Bob

Chuck49
Apprentice

Problem 2 below - with error code E733-005, keeps happening on my new MF642Cdw printer.  Has anyone found a fix?  Has anyone tried to repair the connection between the Engine Controller PCB and the Main Controller PCB.  I'm handy, but not sure I want to tackle that.  The repair manual is a little sketchy.  

@Chuck49 wrote:

Problem 2 below - with error code E733-005, keeps happening on my new MF642Cdw printer.  Has anyone found a fix?   

Check the wireless card/connection...

Thanks for the suggestion.  Will try it, although I am hardwired to my PC (USB, followed all the rules about setting up drivers before plugging in, etc.).  I'll post later if it works.

I am here with the same exact issue you have.  I bought this printer back in November.  Plugged it in, turned it on, upgraded the firmware, then randomly about a week or two later, it began spitting out this E733-0005 error.  Almost daily at this point.  I've tried resetting the printer several times, running it without the firmware update as well as reinstalling the firmware update after a fresh reset... nothing works.  I still keep getting the same error every day or so.  Has anyone found a fix, or should I just call Canon or drop it off at a local retailer and ask them to fix it?

@dkm16 - Canon telephone support implied that wireless card was usual cause of E733-005 error - Either defective or perhaps seating. Error occurs when wireless periodically activates to check status. In my case, with printer ethernet connection to network, the unit appeared to operate and print without issue otherwise. Decided to finally replace under Amazon return policy - New works as expected.

Curious - What firmware arrived with printer? What version was the upgrade? And how did you upgrade?

Thanks and good luck...

Announcements