cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Class D1320 unable to scan from the Operation Panel

Squidward
Contributor

I am unable to scan from the Operation Panel.

The steps on my screen are

Select scan type:  Selections:  "computer," "remote scanner," "memory media"  (Action:  Select computer)

Select scan type scan:  Selections:  "color," "B&W," "custom 1," "custom 2"    (Action:  Select B&W)

Scanning...:  (processing data light flashes).  Selections:  "<cancel>," "confirm destination."  (Action:  Select "confirm destination")

(Computer Name) B&W Scan       (Action Press OK)  Does not scan.  Screen goes back to "Scanning...." Processing data light continues flashing)

The manual (page 7-2) shows the select scan type scan screen coming after "specify destination."  This is backwards from mine. 

The manual also says that if you cannot scan you need to close the MF Toolbox setting screen.  That screen is not open.  

I just reloaded the software and this did not help.

I can scan using the MF Toolbox. And I can print directly from my programs (the Canon appears in the list of printers).  The unit is connected to the computer.  I just cannot scan using the keys on the Operation Panel.  It is much more efficient for the kind of scanning I do -- assuming I can get it to work.  I believe I was able to years ago.

Thx

7 REPLIES 7

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Squidward,

We would be happy to assist with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance.

1. What version of the Mac or Windows operating system are you using on your computer?
  2. Are you connecting via USB or is it over a network?
  3. What security software are you using on the computer?

Windows 7.  USB direct to a port on the computer.  Right now I have Microsoft Security Essentials turned on; I believe I did turn it off in the past when trying to deal with this issue.

I can send the scan to a flash drive with no problem.  I select Memory Media in the Scan Type window and it proceeds with no problem.  But when scanning to the computer, the process hangs at the "Confirm Destination" step.  The "processing data" light flashes for a little while then stops and this message appears in the window:  "an error has occurred <close>."  There is no code.

Hello, 

It looks like the scanner software is not getting the information that there is an incoming scan. When you start a scan from the operation panel, it sends a command and windows should start the MF scan utility. In this situation, you can try checking the event tab for the scanner properties on your computer to make sure it is set to our software. You can use the steps in the link HERE to check the setting.

I did as the link showed.  The MF scan utility is selected for each color mode.  I'm still having the same issue:  when I try to scan from the Operation Panel, and choose Computer for the destination, it will not progress.  The panel highlights "confirm destination"; when I press  OK it shows the computer name and color selected; nothing is highlighted.  When I press OK, it sends me back to the previous panel, with "confirm destination" highlighted.   The "processing data" light flashes for a little while then stops and this message appears in the window: "an error has occurred <close>." There is no code with the message.  The only way I can scan is to walk to the computer, manually open the MF Toolbox, and press the green Start button.

I am trying to scan from the operation panel; it is much more convenient.  I can only scan to Memory Media using the panel, cannot scan to the computer.

I know the unit can "see" the computer because when I go into the MF Toolbox - Scan Function Settings, and change the Computer Name, this new name appears in the operation panel window.  Changing the name makes no difference, nor does moving the cable to a different USB port on the computer.  I can still print using the Canon, but cannot scan to the computer without opening the MF Toolbox and running the operation through that.

Hello,

If you are still unable to scan using the operation panel, I would suggest contacting support at 1-800-652-2666. Our agents would be happy to check into what is preventing the scans from starting with the operation panel.

Announcements