cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document Feeder MF644cdw pulls paper unevenly, tears along one side

Gnome1
Contributor

I have a new MF644cdw that has had a problem since we got it a few months ago. When using the document feeder, it pulls in the paper unevenly / at a slight angle. The result is it bends the right corner, and makes little 1-inch tears (and creases) along the opposite edge (bottom left) when it comes out after scanning. In addition, it does not always scan the documents straight, so they come out a little off when the image is printed or scanned. So my guess is that the right side is applying more pressure when the paper first goes in. Any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The 644 comes with a 3yr warranty from Canon.  

Since the device is new, you can re-inspect the ADF and ensure there are no obstructions in the feeder, torn paper, packing material, etc.  I'd also try anoter brand of paper, just to be safe.

If that doesn't resolve, you can:

-Call Canon for troubleshooting or replacement

-Exchage at the retailer

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for your help! I'll check those things out.

Edited to add: The tears are on the paper being fed through the top feeder to be scanned. If it's standard copy paper, it shouldn't make a difference going through the feeder.

I'll call the company and see what they say (if I can reach a real person!).

Hello,

I am having this same problem with the MF741Cdw printer. Did you ever figure out what the cause of the problem was?

Any help is appreciated.

I did not find out what caused it before. I did readjust the feed guides. At some point, the feeder started to work properly. This  problem appears occasionally and then works itself out. I had forgotten about this post and when the problem appeared last month, I posted again. What I learned is that other people have this problem with the printer, too.

I see. Thank you for the response. It is disappointing, as this was not a cheap printer. For us, this replaced a very inexpensive Canon printer that was having issues feeding paper, and I was hoping that getting a nicer one like this would avoid annoying problems like this one.

The problem comes and goes for me, also. It seems to be maybe less frequent when I try to make sure the edge of the paper is flush with the side of the tray on the back of the printer. Any small improvements due to that I've seen may have just been coincidental, though.

I agree about the expense versus the problems. I bought this for my work to replace an old black & white printer. It's been a frustrating experience - setting it up and some frustrating intermittent problem.

Hello Plafratt,

The issue that you are describing usually occurs when the paper guides are not properly adjusted or there is a obstruction in the paper feed path. In this situation it is suggested to try reloading the paper and adjusting the paper feed guides. You can view the instructions on adjusting the guides using the link provided HERE. If you continue to have issues after reloading the paper, you can try checking the paper patch for any jams/obstructions using the link HERE

If that does not resolve your issue, it does sound like a paper feed problem, you can use the link HERE to log into your My canon account to check your service options or you an contact support at 1-800-652-2666.

Thanks for your response. The problem has gone away for now.

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Gnome1,

The issues you are describing would usually mean that the paper feed guides are not holding the paper in the proper position or that there is something in the paper feed path. When you run into this issue, I would suggest starting by reloading the paper in the feeder and then adjusting the paper guide.

If that does not resolve the issue, I would suggest checking the paper path again for any obstructions. I would suggest paying close attention to the side of the paper feed that the tears are on.

If you do not see anything on the side that is tearing the paper and you have adjusted the guides, it would usually mean the printer needs service. You can use the link provided HERE to log into your Canon account and check your service options.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements