cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off...I

MF6590
Apprentice

I have a MF6590 mutifunction printer.  It had been working fine until last week when I got the error message "Cannot communicate with scanner.." I tried uninstall and reinstall te driver, I tried switching to a different USB port, reboot my PC, turned on/off the printer.. hopped on one foot...nothing worked.  Anyone has any suggestion?

23 REPLIES 23

Have a Canoscan 8400f and a Mac 10.9.5. Everything was fine until "it cannot communicate with scanner." Rebooted the computer, turned on and off the scanner, checked all the connections nd still nothing. Any help is surely appreciated. Thanks.

noel2
Apprentice

Hello

I have a Canon 6530MF

I have the same problem - Can't communicate with scanner, cable may be disconnected...

I am on windows 10 and my driver is Cannon MF Toolbox 4.9.1.1.mf18

Everything has been working fine and then this started happening

The printer always works, just the MFToolbox -scaner does not work

I saw the previous post, and uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it..... then the scaner works again... for a week or so then it stops working.

It has now happened 5 times, and again I reinstal and it starts working again

It definatelly happens if I reboot the computer, but now I noticed that even without rebooting, and actually leaving the program open, it did it again

I can do a temporary fix by reinstalling it again, but it's getting a little anoying and I would like to find a fix to what's causing this

I looked for programs that I've installed since this started happening and I don't see anything that I think might be causing this

Here they are just in case

DELL SUPPORT ASSIST

DELL SUPPORT ASSIST AGENT

GOTO MEETING 

MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ 2015 REDISTRIBUTABLE (x86) 14.0.24215

MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ 2015 REDISTRIBUTABLE (x86) 11.0.61030

DROPBOX

MICROSOFT ONE DRIVE

GOTO OPENER (LOGME IN)

I would appreciate any advise you can give me

Thanks

James_C

Hi New Contributor,

I will be happy to help.  In order to properly assist you with the scanning issue, I will just need to know what operating system you are running?

Please note, Canon's Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please use the link below to reach our friendly Technical Support Team:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Mohafez
Contributor

Firstly you need to download the latest Canon MF Toolbox from the Canon website. Go to this link to enter your scanner’s model and follow the on-screen instructions to download the utility.

Once downloaded, install the application.

Once installed, right click on the application icon and select

Move to the compatibility tab and select the checkbox behind “Run this program in compatibility mode for”

From the drop-down list, select “Windows 7”

Announcements