cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off...I

MF6590
Apprentice

I have a MF6590 mutifunction printer.  It had been working fine until last week when I got the error message "Cannot communicate with scanner.." I tried uninstall and reinstall te driver, I tried switching to a different USB port, reboot my PC, turned on/off the printer.. hopped on one foot...nothing worked.  Anyone has any suggestion?

23 REPLIES 23

Danny

Hi, MF6590!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly which operating system is running on your computer. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 8 AM and 8 PM ET (5 AM to 5 PM PT).

Thanks and have a great day!

The operating system is Window XP.  I tried reinstalling the driver, and reboot the PC, but the probelm persisted.  When I look into the device manager, under "univeral Serial Bus controller", I saw an entry labelled "Unknown Device", but I don't know what to make of it.

Hi MF6590. 

I will be glad to assist you.  I do see that you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, changing the USB port on the computer, and also rebooted the computer and the issue persists.  I recommend changing the USB cable.  Also, if you have any devices, such as a USB hub or switch, connected between the printer and the computer, I recommend removing that also.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  If the error persists, I recommend that you contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

bmaskell
Apprentice

I have a similar problem with my MF4150 connected to a computer running Windows 7.The last succesful scan was on 8 May since when the following Windows updates have been installed:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2923545)
Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2926765)
Update for Microsoft Filter Pack2.0 (KB2878281) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)
Update for Window; 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2709981)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2830477)
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 forx64-based Systems (KB2931356)
Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows? forx64-based Systems (KB2953522J
Update for Microsoft Office2010 (KB2825635) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Visio 2010 (KB2880526) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Microsoft Visio Viewer 2010 (KB2837587) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2880971) 32-Bit Edition
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2592687)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2574819)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2878284) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2871997)
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - May 2014 (KB890830)
Security Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2810073) 32-Bit Edition
Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 and 4.5.1 on Windows 7, Vista, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 x64 (KB2931368)

If I plug the MF4150 into an older machine running XP all is well, so this rules out a problem with the scanner or the cable..

My printer/scanner can print, but cannot scan.  The printing function is connected through my network, but the scanner is connected to my PC through an USB cable.  When I switch the USB cable to my laptop, it scans without any problem.  so I isolateed the problem to my PC.  I tried switching the USB cable to the PC via an USB port that I know work, but the problem persisted.  I tried uninstalling Canon driver and reinstalled it, switched everything off and rebooted, but the probelm still persisted,  I even tried restoring my system to an ealier date when the scanner worked.  No luck on that either.  At that point, I don't know why, but I suspected the USB bus did not have enough power to support all the connection (I had a key board, a mouse, a 1T Seagate external drive with USB connections), so I remove the external drive, and that solve the problem.  The one big mystery to me is this: the Seagate external drive had been there without any problem for over a year with all the other connections (key board, mouse and Canon scanner/printer), so why now?

I just saw Patrice's suggestion after posting my last reply.  She did recommend removing the other USB device like I did.

Hi bmaskell.

I will be glad to assist you.

Since the issue began after updating the Windows 7 operating system, I recommend that you uninstall and reinstall the Canon drivers.  Please follow the instructions below:

1.  Unplug the USB cable from the printer.

***Please leave the USB cable disconnected until you have uninstalled and completely reinstalled the drivers.  Connecting the printer before going through the "Setup Wizard" may cause the Windows operating system to install a generic driver for the printer.***

2.  Select [Start] and [All Programs].

3.  Select the [Canon] folder.

4.  Select [MF4100 Series] and then uninstall.  Repeat the steps for the [MF Toolbox].

5.  Restart you computer.

Leaving the USB cable disconnected, please download the driver from the Canon website using the following link: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

1. The site will automatically detect your operating system. 

2.  Next, select [Drivers] and the file [Windows 64bit] imageCLASS MF4150 MFDrivers (UFR II / FAX / ScanGear).

3.  Click "I Agree - Begin Download".

4.  Save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, click "Run".

5.  Click "I Decline - Go Back" on the Canon site and select [Software] and the file [Windows 32bit & 64bit] Tool Box Ver.4.9.1.1.mf16.

6.  Save the file to your computer.  Once the download is complete, click "Run".

7.  Close the Canon window and go to the location on the computer where the files are saved, usually [Downloads].

8.  You will see two icons with the name MF4150_MFDrivers_W64_us_EN_2.exe.  Double click on the yellow folder icon.  In the folder you will see two files with the name "Setup".  Double click on the "Setup" that has the type [Application].

9.  The "MF Drivers Setup Wizard" will open.  Please proceed through the setup and restart the computer.

10.  After the computer restarts, please connect the USB cable to the computer and allow the computer to finish the installation process.  Once the printer is listed in [Devices and Printers], right-click on the icon and select it as the default printer.  Please open a document on the computer and print it out.

Please follow steps 7 and 8 to install the Canon MF Toolbox 4.9 software.  Once the software is installed, please follow the steps below to complete a scan:

1.  Press the [SCAN] button on the control panel of the printer and place a document in the feeder.

2.  On the computer, open the MF Toolbox program.

3.  Select the [PDF] scan function.

4.  Click the green [Start] button in the PDF window.  The scan should begin.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Should you need further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have gone through the procedure described and have successfully re-installed the driver but I cannot re-install Canon MF Toolbox 4.9.

The process hangs displaying the message:

MF Toolbox 4.9 is performing the requested operations.
Processing Installation...

Windows Task Manager reports the MF Toolbox application as 'Not responding'.

I had the same problem with the removal of Toolbox

For uninstall Canon MF Toolbox 4.9 you need to reboot PC in safe mode with networking, then it will work

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements