cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 12x36IS II Binoculars

Poses
Apprentice

I have a pair of Canon 12x36IS II Binoculars I bought in 2008 and The rubber coating on my binocular is becoming gummy, moveable and imprints everything, I took these on one trip when I bought them new otherwise they are stored on a shelve in my living room in the case, I pull them out once or twice a month for use. Is this normal? why is this happening and what can be done to stop this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tim
Authority

Hello Poses,

We are very sorry to learn that your binoculars seem to have developed this issue where the grip has started to become gummy.  We're not aware that this a normal issue and regret you've experienced it thus far on your binoculars.  The best course from here would most likely be for you to send these to Canon for evaluation. 

You can set up and arrange a repair on our web site at your earliest convenience.  You would also be able to use the same web link to get in touch with our support team, if you needed technical assistance.   

12 x 36 IS II Binoculars

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Tim
Authority

Hello Poses,

We are very sorry to learn that your binoculars seem to have developed this issue where the grip has started to become gummy.  We're not aware that this a normal issue and regret you've experienced it thus far on your binoculars.  The best course from here would most likely be for you to send these to Canon for evaluation. 

You can set up and arrange a repair on our web site at your earliest convenience.  You would also be able to use the same web link to get in touch with our support team, if you needed technical assistance.   

12 x 36 IS II Binoculars

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

ads
Apprentice

Good Evening, I just discovered the same problem with my binoculars. They were stored for approxy. 6 months. I always remove the batteries when storing it. It was not exposed to excessive heat or any chemicals. The rubber finish is gummy just as the other post described. It left black stains on the shirt I was wearing. I tried cleaning them but nothing would work. Please help me, I have hand tremors and love the IS on these binoculars but can't use them in the condition they are in. 

Thank you in advance for your help.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Ads,

Thanks for posting.

Based on your description, your binoculars will require service to correct this issue.

You may set up the repair of your bimoculars by clicking here.

Once on our site, click on "Request Product Repair". On the next page, you may create an account or log into your existing account. These options make it easier to request the repair of more than one product. You may also choose the "Continue" button to "Continue without an Account".

I am very disappointed. They want to charge me over $ 300.00 to fix what amounts to a factory defect. The finish should not be deteriorating. I hardly use them. I did not abuse them. I have bought canon products for years and never had a problem. This is clearly a manufacturer's defect from a faulty process. Now they will probably want to charge me to send them back to me. I will be re-thinking any future purchase of Canon products.

I joined this forum because I have the same problem with my 12X36 IS binoculars as well. I bought mine in 2008 and have noticed the non slip coating degrading over the years. I might just get something like a windshield scraper and scrape all that stuff off. Makes my hands sticky 

It is now 2020 and this same problem has been going on for a long time now. 12x36 is ii has the body getting gummy and sticky even though they were not abused and were in the box for a few years. I noticed that several others have been told they need to mail them in for evauluation and to get a cost on repair. This cost is generally $300, and Canon doesn't seem to take responsibility for the problem. I called Canon today and was told the same thing. 

I'm writing to see if Canon has finally heard from enough people having the same issue to take responsibility for their defective product. Is Canon ready to repair these $800 binoculars because they built them with a faulty finish? Can you offer me some hope, or is it just, "Send them, pay us $300"? 

New to the forum--signed up for this very reason. Same problem here, and am hoping that someone at Canon will respond, as I have two pairs and $300 each (even for one) isn't acceptable. Love the binoculars, but this is very disappointing to hear. Calling them this week...

Canon in UK fixed the same issue at no cost to the customer. Do a better job Canon USA!

<link removed per forum guidelines>

I am very disappointed. They want to charge me over $ 300.00 to fix what amounts to a factory defect. The finish should not be deteriorating. I hardly use them. I did not abuse them. I have bought canon products for years and never had a problem.

vidmate instasave

Announcements