cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winter shooting tips

Torakun99
Apprentice

I'm preparing for a winter photography trip to Yellowstone. I've read all the tips about using hand warmers with batteries and plastic zip lock bags when coming back in from the cold into warm areas. We are going to be on a snow coach (which will be warm) and stopping frequently for wildlife photography options. My question is, with an EOS R3 and R5 body; and RF 600 F/4 L prime; and RF 100-500mm L telephoto, these won't fit into a zip lock bag. Does anyone have suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think his concern, which is real, is fogging when the cold camera gets back into the warm snow coach with all the breath and moisture.

Depending on the design of the snow coach the "wayback" area may be colder than the passenger area. If you can get a blanket from your lodging area wrap the gear in the blanket as quickly as possible. It will insulate temperature wise as well as act as a barrier for moisture.

Plus stopping frequently will help to purge some of the moisture.

If everyone in the coach is photographers, they will all have the same concerns and maybe the vehicle temp can be kept low. You will all have your outdoor clothes on.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I wouldn't worry about it. Use it just like any other time. What I would do is have extra batteries. I have done a lot of work in the winter in Colorado. I did nothing spectacular with my gear except use it. My rule of thumb is, if it is too cold for me it is too cold for the camera/lens. If you can stand it, your Canon gear can, too. BTW, keep the extra batteries in an inside pocket.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think his concern, which is real, is fogging when the cold camera gets back into the warm snow coach with all the breath and moisture.

Depending on the design of the snow coach the "wayback" area may be colder than the passenger area. If you can get a blanket from your lodging area wrap the gear in the blanket as quickly as possible. It will insulate temperature wise as well as act as a barrier for moisture.

Plus stopping frequently will help to purge some of the moisture.

If everyone in the coach is photographers, they will all have the same concerns and maybe the vehicle temp can be kept low. You will all have your outdoor clothes on.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I understand what the OP was concerned about, I still stand by, "I wouldn't worry about it. Use it just like any other time."

The only precaution I would make and I did myself in cold Colorado is extra batteries. I have been in and out of tents, miner's shacks campers, RVs hot and cold wet and dry. You might be surprised how well Canon cameras and L lenses handle weather extremes.

Last Saturday I was out shooting all day in a 20 degree morning start that became 40 degrees in the late afternoon. In and out of a warm building many times. I didn't even have an extra battery with me there but the 1DX and a couple Canon L lenses performed flawlessly.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

I went cross country skiing several times in Yellowstone just using a holster bag.

Never had a problem.

Steve Thomas

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You can get the larger under-bed storage bags in the section where the laundry baskets, clothes hangers and laundry supplies live in the big box stores. Ziploc even makes them.

Announcements