cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water damage due to flood / Canon 6D

DianaReich
Apprentice

We had a flood in our house and my camera bag with my camera and a few lenses was submerged for 8 hours.  There was not a lens attached.  Is it possible to repair the camera with water inside? and the lens?

6 REPLIES 6

stevet1
Authority
Authority

Diana,

I'm sorry. But from everything I've read, I don't think so. There's sensitive electronics involved.

Steve Thomas

Where did you find any sort of information about situations like mine?  Did you read on a specific site?   I have a bad feeling it's not repairable.  

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/08/the-fujifilm-gfx-100-vs-salt-water-teardown/

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Would-you-especially-like-to-see-what...

Note that these examples had lenses!

While not salt water, flood water has a lot of nasty stuff including gypsum from the drywall.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

No. It is dead. It can no longer be trusted. I have had cameras just splashed that died.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Sorry Diana.  You'll need to include this as personal property under homeowners or renters insurance.  Time for mirrorless and new camera / lens day.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Diana and welcome to the forum:
I am really sorry to learn that you have been the victim of a flood.  Sadly, I would consider them all write-offs.  Water in a camera starts a corrosion process that is very difficult to stop. Flood water, as my colleague said, contains all sorts of pollutants that go to work immediately.  Lenses, once water is inside, will develop fungus and that is also a write-off state.  To be honest, I would suspect that no reputable service centre would touch them.
If you have insurance, then make a claim and get new gear.  If you want advice on getting new gear, come back to us and create a post with your budget and needs, we'd be happy to help any way we can.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements