cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Download Videos from EOS Rebel T6

Kc5
Apprentice

I have a Canon Rebel T6 and I have done everything from downloading multiple apps, different mobile devices, and etc. Nothing seems to work, I am having trouble with videos. Everytime I try to download a video onto my phone with the Canon Connect app it just tells me "Movie Format Not Supported" Please I need information ASAP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

2019-02-04.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

I have never had an issue with a video from a Canon, either my wife's SXX series or my Rebels.

Which includes Big Sur, Photos and image capture.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I have never had an issue with a video from a Canon, either my wife's SXX series or my Rebels.

Which includes Big Sur, Photos and image capture.

The forums are seeing a recent rash of new users who have nothing to contribute beyond a rant against Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

SlimChance99: Additional comment: It is amazing that Canon does not warn users of the incompability with apple platforms and the fact that Canon connect will not even move the files from camera to iPhone or Mac so that you can perform a file conversion. I guess they would rahter pocket your cash vs. be truthful about the features of their product. I discovered this through trial and error and then you read the user forums and see that it has been this way forever, and Canon has done nothing to make it easier for people experiencing this platform. They could have solved it by incorporating an open source file converter into Canon Connect. But this is apparently beyond their feeble minds."

What's really amazing is how a lot of Mac and Iphone users who think they are special and don't have to read the manual where it tells you that the canon connect app will only transfer the jpg files!

Wolfie827 must work for Canon (or paid by them).    The user manual and product marketing tout the capability of .MOV without addressing the limitations.   Notwithstanding, if a potential buyer has to spend hours studying user manuals and user forums to discover all of the cases where the product marketing is untruthful or misleading, then one could say the vendor is not one that will retain a lot of customers over the long term. 

If you don't know a problem exists, then how are you supposed to scan all of the detail that it does?   Canon highlights the ability to connect to commonly used platforms such as phones and computers at a general level.  Why would a buyer who doesn't know that this is a partially false marketing claim go searching for information in Canon's user manuals to refute the claim?   

Your implication that the buyer can easily research this information doesn't hold water. 

@SlimChance99 wrote:

Wolfie827 must work for Canon (or paid by them).    The user manual and product marketing tout the capability of .MOV without addressing the limitations.   Notwithstanding, if a potential buyer has to spend hours studying user manuals and user forums to discover all of the cases where the product marketing is untruthful or misleading, then one could say the vendor is not one that will retain a lot of customers over the long term. 

If you don't know a problem exists, then how are you supposed to scan all of the detail that it does?   Canon highlights the ability to connect to commonly used platforms such as phones and computers at a general level.  Why would a buyer who doesn't know that this is a partially false marketing claim go searching for information in Canon's user manuals to refute the claim?   

Your implication that the buyer can easily research this information doesn't hold water. 

In order to get the Canon Connect App it is necessary to download it from the iOS App Store. The info provided in the app page states clearly:

Screenshot 2021-04-05 061159.jpg

Doesn't get much easier that that.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Wolfie0827
Enthusiast

Now, if you want to transfer MOV files to your computer and then convert them to another format for use on your phone (I would suggest MPEG/MPG or MP4 format as being the most compatible with the most android and apple phones) then there are a number of good and even free conversion software out there. I personally use XMedia Recode myself, seems to have the least problems with audio/video sync in my experience.

If you just need to make them viewable on your smartphone, it might be worth also converting them to a lower resolution more suitable to the smaller screen size.

You'll end up with considerably smaller files sizes that will upload and download more quickly. You can even compress the files a bit to make them even smaller and on the smaller phone screen you'll likely not even notice any difference in quality. Like Wolfie said, MPEG/MP4 is probably your best choice.

Iftekhar_Hasan
Apprentice

I had this problem a few hours ago. Luckily I use a mini SD card adapter to my Canon 200d. Then I have transferred my files direct to the phone through my mini sd card. I have found this friendly because it doesn’t take battery life and it doesn’t take long time to transfer big files.

al1naK07
Apprentice

Hi! I also had this problem and I found a solution. I own the Canon EOS 70D. I found a USB Mini A or it was USB Mini B and I plugged that cord into the camera. Then I plugged it into my PC which is a Windows 10. There was a little pop up that said something like "camera connected" I clicked on that, then I went to the photos app, and all my pictures AND videos were all downloaded. Im sure this would still work on a Mac, or a different computer. I hope this helped!

RobRoy73
Apprentice

I actually get the gist of your comment and it amazes me that the people that are the so-called experts in this forum can't seem to get that through their thick heads.   We don't care whether or not the video can play or not (which by the way is completely false, you can play MOV files and MP4 files on Android like they're native).  WE'RE simply talking about copying the file over to the phone that's it!!!!! You've got to be iPhone users is my only guess as to why you're this ignorant. I read the instructions that were screenshotted at the bottom and it appears that the app doesn't support straight up downloading a movie file which is completely stupid. It totally negates the whole Wi-Fi capability of the camera outside of actual pictures.

So as consumers we have the right to voice our opinion as to the lackluster performance that something possesses and not have to deal with Fanboys like you in this forum. I mean this is freedom of speech and we can say what and whatever we want as long as it's within reason... just like you guys can be a bunch of fanboys. But if you're going to dish it, you're going to have to take it.

Announcements