cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Download Videos from EOS Rebel T6

Kc5
Apprentice

I have a Canon Rebel T6 and I have done everything from downloading multiple apps, different mobile devices, and etc. Nothing seems to work, I am having trouble with videos. Everytime I try to download a video onto my phone with the Canon Connect app it just tells me "Movie Format Not Supported" Please I need information ASAP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

2019-02-04.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

@Waddizzle wrote:

@BWedding wrote:

The "solution" should probably clearly state that Android will not import MOV files no matter what. And while it may not be broken, 1/2 your market is disenfranchised. 

Actually, the "solution" should probably remind users that Android does not MP4 files.  You need special apps.

WHAT?? NO special apps needed on my Pixel 3 XL with Android v10.

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

Here's the thing. It's not Android's fault. I can download multiple apps to play MOV files, such as VLC. It doesn't matter if I've downloaded those or not. The application sees Android and throws an error and will not download regardless.

Look, I'm a software engineer. The right behavior is to download the file, no matter the extension. Let the end user deal with the issue once they have the file. It's not correct to simply refuse to download it because it is Android.

@BWedding wrote:

Here's the thing. It's not Android's fault. I can download multiple apps to play MOV files, such as VLC. It doesn't matter if I've downloaded those or not. The application sees Android and throws an error and will not download regardless.

Look, I'm a software engineer. The right behavior is to download the file, no matter the extension. Let the end user deal with the issue once they have the file. It's not correct to simply refuse to download it because it is Android.

Sorry, but you are incorrect.  Android does not support MP4.  If it did, then this would not be an issue.  Would it?

Camera manufacturers cannot rely on a user supplied, third party application to make the camera manufacturers' applications fully functional.  If the OS platform does not support a common file format, then that OS platform is flawed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@wchettel wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@BWedding wrote:

The "solution" should probably clearly state that Android will not import MOV files no matter what. And while it may not be broken, 1/2 your market is disenfranchised. 

Actually, the "solution" should probably remind users that Android does not MP4 files.  You need special apps.

What app do you use to play MP4 files?  What app did you install?

@Waddizzle wrote:

@wchettel wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@BWedding wrote:

I did not need to install an app to play MP4 movie files on my Pixel 3 XL. I use the native, built-in Google Photos to play MP4 movie files. Google Photos doesn't have a lot of fancy controls, but it gets the job done!

You must be an iPhone user that knows nothing about Android. Smiley Happy

--
Walter
in Davie, FL

@wchettel wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@wchettel wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@BWedding wrote:

I did not need to install an app to play MP4 movie files on my Pixel 3 XL. I use the native, built-in Google Photos to play MP4 movie files. Google Photos doesn't have a lot of fancy controls, but it gets the job done!

You must be an iPhone user that knows nothing about Android. Smiley Happy

That's nice.  They're finally catching up with the industry, a day late and a dollar short.

I stand by what I said earlier.  Try a web search for "how to play MP4 on Android", and look at all the hits you get.

Google Photos will play MOV files (not sure why you keep saying MP4 which is not what a T6 produces), right out of the box on my Android 10 Pixel 2XL.

I actually just tested it. I transferred via USB, a .MOV file created by my T6. I navigated to it with File Manager and played it with Google Photos and VLC. Then, just in case VLC had installed codecs, I uninstalled it and did it again.

https://youtu.be/laQDmHN7H1o

android does not support mp4 files??? is it true?  

other mp4 files open iin android and runs too. only recorded clips in canon 1500D (that's what I have) is saying that format not supported.

@BWedding wrote:

I'm not sure why this is marked as a solution. Connecting via NFC still fails to import MOV files to Android.

I've even installed VLC Player, which plays MOV files and that doesn't help. The app refuses to import MOV regardless.

The following is from the app information found at Google Play Store HERE:

-Compatible File Types
JPEG、MP4、MOV
・Importing original RAW files is not supported (RAW files are resized to JPEG).
MOV files and 8K movie files shot with EOS cameras cannot be saved.
・HEIF (10 bit) and RAW movie files shot with compatible cameras cannot be saved.
・AVCHD files shot with Camcorder cannot be saved.

The correct solution should read as follows:

1.  Sell, thow away, or hide your Canon device in the back of your closet.

2.  Buy a decent video recorder that has compatibility with Apple software.

3.  Remeber this experience the next time you are tempted to buy a Canon device.

Additional comment:   It is amazing that Canon does not warn users of the incompability with apple platforms and the fact that Canon connect will not even move the files from camera to iPhone or Mac so that you can perform a file conversion.  I guess they would rahter pocket your cash vs. be truthful about the features of their product.  I discovered this through trial and error and then you read the user forums and see that it has been this way forever, and Canon has done nothing to make it easier for people experiencing this platform.   They could have solved it by incorporating an open source file converter into Canon Connect.   But this is apparently beyond their feeble minds.

Announcements