cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Mark II HDMI Limitations - Simultaneously display on monitor and LCD screen

Watkins
Contributor

First post, new here. Curious, but does Canon read these comments?

I just purchased an R6 Mark II and I was shocked that the camera's display was disabled when external HDMI was connected! My camera shop was also baffled by this. My vision isn't what it used to be and I was excited about the ability to use a larger external display for monitoring while also having the built in screen's touch focus and info.

If it's possible, I would really appreciate the ability to connect an HDMI monitor while maintaining the ability to record to the camera and use the camera's display in both photo and video modes.

30 REPLIES 30

It is. No newer firmware than 1.30 is released. 

My two biggest gripes are HDMI limitations and crippled FEL options, both of which are a simple fix... Another would be stills review options (histogram not following detail preview)... 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The display turns off because the camera lacks as second set of video electronics to generate a second video signal.  

[EDIT] When you connect an HDMI cable to the camera the video signal going to the rear screen gets re-routed to the HDMI port! [/EDIT]

Again. This behavior is not a bug. There is no firmware update that can add circuitry to the camera. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the logical answer! 

What about electronic level display over HDMI? As well as live histogram during recording and other things... 

There must be something more to give to users to mitigate the otherwise seriously miserable HDMI functionality. 

Those could be changed. Send Canon feedback from the Canon USA home page:

Feedback.jpg

I'll give it a try... So far, every clear request ended with "call to customer service" where nobody can't do anything...

Thanks again. 

Screenshot_20240301_090727_Samsung Internet.jpg

I did it... And it's frustrating to get this image when done... Canon insists on FAKE customer service, like all of us need "support" in using cameras. No, all we need are better cameras 😉

We'll see. I have very low expectations, so hopefully I'll be surprised! 

PS I guess what you've written here is not true after all. 

This screenshot of the owner manual of R6II clearly says that camera will generate two video signals, in your words, otherwise it's probably only parallel output... My 10 year old Nikon could do this... 

So, where did you find that info? How credible is it? 

I still suspect it's only up to Canon's will, as well as they've put ridiculous micro hdmi crippling the camera intentionally... Very bad "customer care"! 

Screenshot_20240303_191843_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Several members of the Community have suggested possible answers based on their personal observations. If none of them are what you'd consider helpful, perhaps you should reach out to support to find an acceptable answer.

Our support team is available Monday through Saturday at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). 

Thanks, but I'm not interested in excuses and opinions. 

I want this disfunction to be addressed and solved by firmware update. 

AND IT'S NOT JUST ME! 

Can you do that? 

Thanks, for the screenshot.

F9DF2EA2-0992-48AC-959B-3E6DB8266A66.jpeg

It will display on the camera and HDMI output during movie playback.  If you want “Clean HDMI”” output, then the camera screen turns off.  Have a nice day.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements