cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5 Custom mode and coming back from sleep resets settings to initial from custom mode

osya_bender
Contributor

Here is the use case:

- Set camera to custom mode, say C1 that has shutter speed 1/400 configured for it.

- While in C1 shoot as usual adjusting shutter speed as need, say to 1/125

- Let camera go to sleep

- Wake the camera up

Observe shutter speed is reset to 1/400

I'd expect this not to be the case because letting camera going to sleep and waking it up is not the same (shouldn't be) as turning it off and then on.

If you enable autoupdate for the custom settings it will keep updating it with whatever you choose duting shotting but this kind of defeats the purpose of the custom mode in my opinion, where you are guaranteed to always start from the same set of settings when switch to that mode.

87 REPLIES 87

I can't help you if you don't answer the questions!  You keep telling me what you want, not what you're doing in a way I can emulate.  If you are saving M settings to C1-3 it makes a difference.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

was this your question?

"As I understand it: you are recording a Custom setting of a Manual mode, and that includes a specific shutter speed, a specific aperture and you set the ISO to auto.  When you adjust the shutter speed and let the camera go back to 'sleep' the camera defaults to the original shutter speed.  The exposure compensation does not work to retain those setting in this situation.  Is that a summary of the situation?"

I was newer talking about exposure compensations, and yes, everything is manual even ISO and the only request is that the camera turns back on with the same settings it turned of.

OK... BTW, I was trying to help you with my use of the EV dial in M mode to maintain your shutter speed but that apparently didn't work for you.  It works for me, perfectly.

One thing you want to investigate and read up on is the Safety Shift feature in the Custom Menu Group, pager 1, at the bottom.  See P821 of your manual and check your settings. They could well be overriding the options you are storing in the Custom Shooting Functions.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I double checked. safety shift is turned off

While you digest the quote that I sent you.  Can you tell me what drove you to assign your M settings to a custom setting in the first place.  If you simply set the mode to M, the camera will return to the settings you dialled in last time you used it.  If you use these settings consistently, you can choose to change one single setting such as shutter speed and it will return to that setting if the camera powers down.
The custom modes are really useful when one is trying to customize some aspect of the camera's operation when it would otherwise require significant changes in multiple locations. 

You are going to get changes in the light available, so if in M mode you use the same set ISO and Aperture, then you only need to change shutter speed and it will hold, even if the camera is turned off.

If you otherwise shoot in Av or Tv modes for other situations, then they will best react to assigning those configurations to the C1 - C3 modes.

cheers, TREVOR

Hi Trevor,

in first place I was just copying the settings of a professional wild life photographer (as I was new to the R5 and Canon) and I expected to be able to have the most common configurations handy for quick switches. i'll try to only use the M mode and if that solves my troubles but now I need some sleep, we have almost 04:00 here in Europe 😉 

Fair enough.  Better to approach these things with a clear head. 😲

cheers, TREVOR

That's what I That's what I thought I still have my D810 and I will and I was going to test it but I'm pretty sure my con does not work the same way the R5 works. The D810 works the way I think all cameras should work.

I found this reference at: Custom Shooting Modes and How Bryan Configures "C" Modes (the-digital-picture.com)

"How to Configure a Custom Shooting Mode

Configuring a "C" mode is very easy. Simply adjust all of your camera settings as desired for the "C" mode being programmed and then find and select the "Custom shooting mode" menu option located in the "Tools" tab. Next, select "Register settings". If more than one "C" mode is available on your camera, the mode number desired must then be selected. Done. That's it. That "C" mode is programmed.

Two other "Custom shooting mode" menu options are available. The first is "Clear settings". I don't recall ever using this one. I simply program over the top of an already configured "C" mode if I want to make a change and haven't felt a need to clean up any no-longer-needed "C" mode.

The other available option is "Change Auto update set". While a "C" mode is being used, camera settings can be changed. When "Change Auto update set" is set to "Enabled", any camera setting changes made while in a "C" mode are saved to the respective "C" mode. The camera will retain the new settings even after being powered off. When this option is set to "Disabled", the camera will revert back to the originally programmed settings when the camera powers off. My cameras all have this feature set to "Enabled". "Enabled" requires a little more attention to the as-last-configured settings when beginning to shoot, but ... I found "Disabled" to be somewhat maddening and requiring even more constant attention."

cheers, TREVOR

just one more who thinks that this behavior is plain stupid without speaking it out. I get more and more convinced that canon will not be for me, I have other things to do than figuring out, why I again missed another shot because the camera again came back on with some setting changed 😞

Announcements