Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Previewing images taken through the EOS R50 viewfinder

BuddynPups
Contributor

z.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't have this camera, but 3 of my R's have the feature that I am telling you about. Maybe someone with the R50 will confirm, but the R50 manual for this feature reads like mine so I have no reason to doubt that the manual is not accurate and this feature works.

The problem may be the resolution of the EVF of the R50. All of my R's have big EVF's. It might be in your best interest to get your hands on one at a camera shop, make the recommended settings, and see for yourself just how good it is for your eyesight.

Newton

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

BuddynPups
Contributor

can photos taken be previewed in the viewfinder  r-50

BuddynPups,

Your question is a little confusing.

If the image is already taken, it can't be previewed.

I'm pretty sure that photos you've already taken can only be viewed, or played back on the LCD screen.

Steve Thomas

I have a camera where you can view photos taken on the lcd, so 
on the pdf for this camera
preview duration 2, 4 or a secs or hold
----------------------
Also says u cant look at the lcd and viewfinder at the same time.
If someone owned the r50,
took a pic,
closed the lcd screen
pressed the play back button
and looked in the viewfinder? 
If u have one and experiment let me know thanks

@BuddynPups wrote:

Also says u cant look at the lcd and viewfinder at the same time.
If someone owned the r50,
took a pic,
closed the lcd screen
pressed the play back button
and looked in the viewfinder? 
If u have one and experiment let me know thanks

BuddynPups, your camera has a sensor that turns your viewfinder (EVF) and/or rear LCD on/off when you put your eye to the viewfinder, depending on how you have it configured. It is true that both EVF and LCD aren't active at the same time, but why would you want it to be that way? Anyway what you need to do is:

Go to the Wrench 3 menu item (see the image I posted earlier); select "Screen/viewfinder Display" and tap or click it with the "Set" button; pick "Auto 2 (Auto switching)". This will make it so you automatically switch to the EVF when you look through it during "image playback". When you take your eye away from the EVF, the image will be viewable on the rear LCD.

You can try this yourself. After making these settings, pull up an image on your LCD for viewing. Now look through your viewfinder. You will see your image in there and the rear LCD will go blank. This also works with settings INFO if you have that displayed on the LCD.

Newton

Thanks.. now I will need to buy it then I will do these things, exactly what I need.

• @BuddynPups wrote:

can photos taken be previewed in the viewfinder  r-50

Yes, you can view images, that have already been taken, through the Electronic Viewfinder (EVF). You can also configure a button to toggle between the rear LCD to EVF. It's explained in the advanced users manual, starting at page 701.

Viewfinder R50 manual-1.jpg

Newton

FloridaDrafter,

Wow. I didn't know that.

Thanks,

Steve Thomas

LOL! Steve, you are welcome. It was just a hunch because the R5 and R6/R6 II work that way. I have all of the R manuals from doing research, so it's easy for me to search them. It's the terminology from camera to camera that sometimes makes it a little harder to find certain features 🙂

Newton

BuddynPups
Contributor

I can't see close up with out glasses
In bright light I can not see the lcd even with glasses.
Having this feature is what I needed to decide to buy the R50
This one 
https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/eos-r50-rf-s18-45mm-f4-5-6-3-is-stm-lens-kit?color=Black&type=New

click here to view the gallery
Announcements