cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full-Frame Camera Body Recommendation to Go with EOS 90D

dcbeazley
Apprentice

I am looking for a new Canon camera body. I currently have a 90D and love it, but I would like a second body to be more efficient in my shooting. I have been looking around at Canon bodies, but am overwhelmed with all the different options that Canon has. My focus is photography and producing the best photos so I have no interest in a videography camera. I want a nice camera to pair with my 90D, preferably one with a full-frame sensor. I understand that mirrorless is the future but I'm open to getting another DSLR. Drop suggestions or questions below.

My gear:

Canon 90D        Sigma 18-35mm F1.8.        Canon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6

Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary F5-6.3.        Canon 50mm F1.8

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You really haven't told us anything.

Do you want the second body as a backup camera with equal or slightly lesser quality to the 90D? Or as un upgrade?

More importantly, what is your budget?

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What is your budget to spend on a body only or lens and a body. Do you still want to stay with APS-C or move to Full Frame. Most of your lenses are APS-C and will function on a Full Frame R series camera in a degraded way. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

My budget is around $2,000 but it is flexible. My focus is going to be landscape photography with the new body so I need a full frame sensor. I understand the importance of good lenses and am not completely against getting a lens for the new body. If you recommend an R series camera then I probably would look at getting an RF lens.

What features do you need in a camera. Higher end Full Frame cameras offer IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization). The EF Mount is a dead end and no further development is continuing. All camera and lens development has moved to the RF Mount and EOS R series cameras. For Full Frame cameras they have the EOS R8, EOS R, EOS R6 Mark II, EOS R5, EOS R3. You still maybe able to find the EOS RP (which was replaced by the R8) and the original R6 (which was replaced by the R6 Mark II). When a crop sensor lens is used on a full frame camera the image sensor capacity is reduced by a factor of 2.5x. For instance the EOS R5 is 45 megapixels in Full Frame mode. But in 1.6x crop mode its only 17 megapixels. The R8 sounds good budget wise but it lacks many features your 90D currently has. Such as using the same LP-E6 series batteries. Instead it uses the LP-E17 lower capacity battery found in many Digital Rebel cameras. The R6 Mark II offers IBIS (In Body Image Stabilization) and uses the same LP-E6 series battery.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Full frame is the top priority. I prefer a body with great image quality so a higher megapixel count would be nice. IBIS would be a nice feature to have. I will probably end up getting a wide-angle lens that is the best fit for the new camera. The budget is very flexible, that number was just something to work around. I'm not opposed to spending more for a great body and lens to complement it. 

The only current high resolution Full Frame camera is the EOS R5 which is on sale for $2,999 body only at Canon USA online. Your current lenses are not fully compatible on the EOS R series Full Frame cameras. They will significantly reduce the camera's resolution. Only the EF 50mm F/1.8 lens will provide the full 45 megapixels. Your other APS-C lenses would yield a 17 megapixel image. Since the image circle projected by lens is smaller than the sensor itself. So the picture must be cropped to the APS-C image circle to avoid vignetting. As for native RF wide angle lenses.

• RF 14-35mm F/4IS USM ($1,299)
  • RF 15-35mm F/2.8IS USM ($2,099)
  • RF 15-30mm F/4.5-6.3 IS STM ($549.99)
  • RF 16mm F/2.8 STM ($239)

-Demetrius

Thank you so much for your help I appreciate it. Have a blessed day!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

For your stated budget of $2000 USD, I would recommend the EOS R6 with the RF-EF mount adapter with the control ring.  Canon USA is currently out of stock, both new and refurbished.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1547010-REG/canon_eos_r6_mirrorless_digital.html 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements