cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My EOS R refuses to take a photo whenever it isn't focused.

SamuelGong
Contributor
I can't seem to take photos with my EOS R in low-light conditions. The reason for this is because it cannot focus. My camera doesn't want to take a photo when it's out of focus. I used to have a problem like this on my 80D I had borrowed from a friend, but then I fixed it in the settings. I don't remember which setting it is that allows you to take photos when you are not in focus. I am on manual mode using SERVO AF on release priority. I would've thought release priority solved it but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Please reply immediately as I am going to shoot tomorrow morning. To sum up my problem, I need my camera to be able to take photos even if it isn't focused.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@SamuelGong wrote:
I'll explain the scenario here. I go out late at night to shoot star trails. The camera can't focus because it's too dark outside. If I put it on manual focus, the result is very blurred as the focus is not responsive.

If you are doing star trail or astro photography what you really want to do is focus on an "infinity" subject in the daytime using AF. Then switch to MF and tape the lens focus ring with gaffers tape so it can't move.

A less dependable option (only becasue you may not be able to find a subject) is at your photo location try and find a bright object like maybe a building in the distance. Focus, switch to manual and tape lens (or be careful not to touch focus ring).

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

You can try the custom function that lets you shoot without a lens. I have no idea what it does - maybe nothing - if you *do* have a lens.

Announcements