cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image misalignment (Autofocus Issue?)

wildwoodphoto
Enthusiast

I'm shooting multiple frames on a fixed subject using a remote trigger. I shoot some without flash, and then some with flash. When I review the images, there is some misalignment from frame to frame, even though I am not near the camera, nor am I touching settings on the camera as I am using the remote.

Before taking some of those frames when pressing the remote, I can hear the lens autofocus motor. I thought perhaps the issue was half depressing the trigger, but this also ocurrs on a full press.

Does this misalignment sound like an autofucs issue, if so, what settings would correct it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For anyone interested or having a similar issue, here is a re-cap and the solution from Canon Support.

I am shooting multiple frames of the same fixed subject (let's not go in to why), importing these frames to LR, then editing in PS as layers. I am using a EOS 5D Mk IV with a Canon 16-35 f/4L IS USM on a Gitzo S1 GT1531 with a Pebble AODELAN wirelss transmitter. Settings are ISO320 f/6.3 1/8sec, single shot, spot AF (for this test I kept all the settings between frames the same so as not to touch the camera). 

When viewing the layers in PS, there is some misalignment between one or more of the frames. This misalgnment is small but visible, and enough for 'Auto-Align Layers' to make some correction. It was suggested to set AF then set the lens to MF: this did not solve the issue.

The only solutions that did not cause misalignment was 1. To wait several seconds between taking frames (too quick and the misalignment issue is present), 2. To set 'Mirror Lockup' but again to wait several seconds, 3. To use Live View, or 4. To use Canon Connect.

Canon are almost certain that the cause for issue is 'shutter shock', which is why waiting several seconds, or using Live View/Canon Connect solve the issue (though as a side note, AF can also interfere if it tries to re-focus betwen frames, but this is not yet evident in reasonable light with spot AF). 

So problem solved.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@wildwoodphoto wrote:

I'm shooting multiple frames on a fixed subject using a remote trigger. I shoot some without flash, and then some with flash. When I review the images, there is some misalignment from frame to frame, even though I am not near the camera, nor am I touching settings on the camera as I am using the remote.

Before taking some of those frames when pressing the remote, I can hear the lens autofocus motor. I thought perhaps the issue was half depressing the trigger, but this also ocurrs on a full press.

Does this misalignment sound like an autofucs issue, if so, what settings would correct it?

What type of camera and lens are you using?  What type of tripod and tripod head are you using?  No offense, but [your] results are entirely consistent with using the lowest priced gear that can be found.  Your [gear] sounds too touchy to even change the lens AF/MF switch.  That's not a good thing.

I would like to tell you how to set up BBF, Back Button Focus, but we cannot.  You seem to have never heard of it before.  It is setup in the camera, not the intervalometer.  Since we don't know what camera you're using, we cannot tell you how to set it up.  

Are you even using a Canon camera?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@wildwoodphoto wrote:

What type of camera and lens are you using?  What type of tripod and tripod head are you using?  No offense, but [your] results are entirely consistent with using the lowest priced gear that can be found.  Your [gear] sounds too touchy to even change the lens AF/MF switch.  That's not a good thing.

I would like to tell you how to set up BBF, Back Button Focus, but we cannot.  You seem to have never heard of it before.  It is setup in the camera, not the intervalometer.  Since we don't know what camera you're using, we cannot tell you how to set it up.  

My apologies if I am not an expert, but us lesser mortals use this forum for invaluable help and advice from those with more experience. 

Unhelpful and confrontational comments like yours - surprising given you are listed as a VIP - could very easily dissuade novices like myself from pursuing photography, so I suggest in future that if you cannot restrict your comments to helpful, factual advice, then you desist from posting.

You had also replied on one of my previous discussions regarding Canon Connect where you said "Don't categorically blame the camera", which was factually incorrect as I had simply stated that CC was "notoriously unreliable, frequently dropping connection". I didn't mention the camera as at fault.

I have heard of BBF thank you. I replied to a comment from another forum contributor who suggested using BBF by asking how it works with a wireless remote, as they clearly hadn't understood this was my requirement.

What if I were "using the lowest priced gear that can be found"? Does this preclude my receiving helpful advice on his forum? 

In any case, this is my [gear]:

Camera: Canon EOS 5D MkIV
Lens: (used for this discussion) Canon 16-35m f/4L IS USM (set to 18mm)
Tripod Legs: Gitzo GT1531 Series 1
Tripod Head: Manfrotto MHXPRO-3W 3-Way Head
Wireless remote Trigger: AOD ELAN Pebble

Total value around $5,000. Or perhaps in your view I need to spend more with Canon to receive helpful advice. 

"Unhelpful and confrontational comments like yours - surprising given you are listed as a VIP - ...  so I suggest in future that if you cannot restrict your comments to helpful, factual advice, then you desist from posting."

Unfortunately when you ask you will get some answers that are not constructive,  VIP means only that they post a lot not that they are knowledgeable. Try all your shots without flash or all with flash because I doubt BBF will improve anything.

BTW, did you mention what post editor you use? I wonder if it could have something to do with it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@wildwoodphoto wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@wildwoodphoto wrote:

My apologies if I am not an expert, but us lesser mortals use this forum for invaluable help and advice from those with more experience. 

Unhelpful and confrontational comments like yours - surprising given you are listed as a VIP - could very easily dissuade novices like myself from pursuing photography, so I suggest in future that if you cannot restrict your comments to helpful, factual advice, then you desist from posting.

You had also replied on one of my previous discussions regarding Canon Connect where you said "Don't categorically blame the camera", which was factually incorrect as I had simply stated that CC was "notoriously unreliable, frequently dropping connection". I didn't mention the camera as at fault.

I have heard of BBF thank you. I replied to a comment from another forum contributor who suggested using BBF by asking how it works with a wireless remote, as they clearly hadn't understood this was my requirement.

What if I were "using the lowest priced gear that can be found"? Does this preclude my receiving helpful advice on his forum? 

In any case, this is my [gear]:

Camera: Canon EOS 5D MkIV
Lens: (used for this discussion) Canon 16-35m f/4L IS USM (set to 18mm)
Tripod Legs: Gitzo GT1531 Series 1
Tripod Head: Manfrotto MHXPRO-3W 3-Way Head
Wireless remote Trigger: AOD ELAN Pebble

Total value around $5,000. Or perhaps in your view I need to spend more with Canon to receive helpful advice. 

All I did was ask what gear you were using.  Is this an apology.  No, I had already apologized before your response.

Obviously, you have decent gear.  So, let's rule gear out of the picture.  Again, I will point out if you want specific solutions to specific problems, then you need to provide more information, at least enough so that someone can reproduce your issue.  At the very least, please post samples of your issue.  Helps someone to help you.

Good Luck finding a solution to your problem.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Does this misalignment sound like an autofucs issue ....  I shoot some without flash, and then some with flash."

I suspect this is your problem.  The vastly different exposure setting from flash to no flash can account for the apparent differences.  Why, because the aperture probably changes too.

I would trun AF off and do MF if possible to eleiminat that possibility, also.

EB

wildwoodphoto
Enthusiast
Hello, I’m not changing aperture when using flash, and I have tried a test not using flash but got the same misalignment issue. I’m using Photoshop for editing.

I am in contact with Canon who are (for now) saying the mirror is causing the issue (though Mirror Lockup doesn’t solve it), as when using both Canon Connect and Live View, the alignment issue isn’t present.

@wildwoodphoto wrote:
Hello, I'm not changing aperture when using flash, and I have tried a test not using flash but got the same misalignment issue. I'm using Photoshop for editing.

I am in contact with Canon who are (for now) saying the mirror is causing the issue (though Mirror Lockup doesn't solve it), as when using both Canon Connect and Live View, the alignment issue isn't present.

This is a very baffling problem. Please post the resolution when you get t worked out so that others may be helped if they experience the same issue.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

For anyone interested or having a similar issue, here is a re-cap and the solution from Canon Support.

I am shooting multiple frames of the same fixed subject (let's not go in to why), importing these frames to LR, then editing in PS as layers. I am using a EOS 5D Mk IV with a Canon 16-35 f/4L IS USM on a Gitzo S1 GT1531 with a Pebble AODELAN wirelss transmitter. Settings are ISO320 f/6.3 1/8sec, single shot, spot AF (for this test I kept all the settings between frames the same so as not to touch the camera). 

When viewing the layers in PS, there is some misalignment between one or more of the frames. This misalgnment is small but visible, and enough for 'Auto-Align Layers' to make some correction. It was suggested to set AF then set the lens to MF: this did not solve the issue.

The only solutions that did not cause misalignment was 1. To wait several seconds between taking frames (too quick and the misalignment issue is present), 2. To set 'Mirror Lockup' but again to wait several seconds, 3. To use Live View, or 4. To use Canon Connect.

Canon are almost certain that the cause for issue is 'shutter shock', which is why waiting several seconds, or using Live View/Canon Connect solve the issue (though as a side note, AF can also interfere if it tries to re-focus betwen frames, but this is not yet evident in reasonable light with spot AF). 

So problem solved.

I would still have to ask this question I posted earlier, "The vastly different exposure setting from flash to no flash can account for the apparent differences."

There isn't any way possible I can see where exposure settings did not or could not have changed from no flash to using flash.

I still would advise using one or the other but not both.

"This misalgnment is small but visible, and enough for 'Auto-Align Layers' to make some correction."

But PS was able to do the corrections? I can't imagine it could not.

"Canon are almost certain that the cause for issue is 'shutter shock',..."

OK good as any reason and if it eliminates the problem, fantastic.

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Shutter shock or camera motion from you touching it when you press the shutter? The camera has a 2 second self timer that many folks use when shooting multiple shots from a tripod.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements