cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image misalignment (Autofocus Issue?)

wildwoodphoto
Enthusiast

I'm shooting multiple frames on a fixed subject using a remote trigger. I shoot some without flash, and then some with flash. When I review the images, there is some misalignment from frame to frame, even though I am not near the camera, nor am I touching settings on the camera as I am using the remote.

Before taking some of those frames when pressing the remote, I can hear the lens autofocus motor. I thought perhaps the issue was half depressing the trigger, but this also ocurrs on a full press.

Does this misalignment sound like an autofucs issue, if so, what settings would correct it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

For anyone interested or having a similar issue, here is a re-cap and the solution from Canon Support.

I am shooting multiple frames of the same fixed subject (let's not go in to why), importing these frames to LR, then editing in PS as layers. I am using a EOS 5D Mk IV with a Canon 16-35 f/4L IS USM on a Gitzo S1 GT1531 with a Pebble AODELAN wirelss transmitter. Settings are ISO320 f/6.3 1/8sec, single shot, spot AF (for this test I kept all the settings between frames the same so as not to touch the camera). 

When viewing the layers in PS, there is some misalignment between one or more of the frames. This misalgnment is small but visible, and enough for 'Auto-Align Layers' to make some correction. It was suggested to set AF then set the lens to MF: this did not solve the issue.

The only solutions that did not cause misalignment was 1. To wait several seconds between taking frames (too quick and the misalignment issue is present), 2. To set 'Mirror Lockup' but again to wait several seconds, 3. To use Live View, or 4. To use Canon Connect.

Canon are almost certain that the cause for issue is 'shutter shock', which is why waiting several seconds, or using Live View/Canon Connect solve the issue (though as a side note, AF can also interfere if it tries to re-focus betwen frames, but this is not yet evident in reasonable light with spot AF). 

So problem solved.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It sounds like for each image, the camera is refocusing which can at times acquire different points.

If the goal is to capture multiple frames without changing focus, depress the shutter half-way to acquire the required focus.  Release, then switch the lens to manual focus.  Take the images you need thereafter.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

wildwoodphoto
Enthusiast
I really don’t want to use manual focus. No other solution with autofocus?

You won't be manually focusing anything.  You'd be setting the lens to manual focus so that it will keep the focus as-is while you take your multiple images.

When you need to focus on something else, switch back to AF, focus, switch back to MF then take the multiple images.

In this manner, your multiple images will be captured with the same exact focus point.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I understand your solution thank you. My concern is that given my type of work, I may forget that the lens is set to MF.

Is there no AF setting that simply locks focus (like single point focus)?

Is IS on? If you are on a tripod, and depending on the lens, the IS could be drifting.

IS is OFF

@rs-eos wrote:

You won't be manually focusing anything.  You'd be setting the lens to manual focus so that it will keep the focus as-is while you take your multiple images.

When you need to focus on something else, switch back to AF, focus, switch back to MF then take the multiple images.

In this manner, your multiple images will be captured with the same exact focus point.

I have done multiple tests, using different triggers, shooting modes etc.

I did as you suggested and set AF and then switched the lens to MF. I took three frames in sucession without touching the camera. Opening these in PS there is still a small misalignment between each frame. 

The ONLY test that showed zero misalignment was using Canon Connect.

What to conclude?

AnthonyHayzen
Apprentice
Suggest you use back button focus that way once you’ve focused it won’t change when you take a photo

wildwoodphoto
Enthusiast
How do I do this using a wireless remote?
Announcements