cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 packaging damaged, missing manual, missing US warranty card

Genetics2010
Contributor

I live in the USA and purchased the R8 off of the US Amazon site from a third party Brand New(body only). A relatively large seller that is a company.   When I got the camera the box was a bit beaten up and the manual was not in a plastic - Also a little worn and bent.  The Charger was a two piece charger with cord.  I also did not get the USA & Canada only paper.  My question is if I should be concerned in any way?  I mean the camera and battery look brand new.  However I can't verify shutter count because canon makes it impossible.

Regards, B.W.
Canon Gear: EOS R8, 16mm, 50mm
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Definitely return the device as soon as possible. Do not use it.
If it does not have US documentation it is likely a very grey market unit or one that has been brought over by a 3rd party and taken on by the reseller.   It is also likely used and the numbering reset.  I strongly advice to make a photographic record (not using that camera) of the camera, the charger and documentation before returning it, in case there is some prevarication from the reseller.
If you want to buy a camera get it from an authorized reseller or via Canon's Refurbished site - those cameras may never have been used but the box open, or even just excess stock.  They are good as new and come with a guarantee from Canon.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

"I own no grey market gear nor would I buy one knowingly. However if I did by accident I would not return it pay a restocking fee and shipping and insurance just to then buy another exact camera just to get a one year warranty."

I couldn't agree more, my friend.  I have heard too many bad stories over the years on what happens when grey market gear needs repairs.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

Some of you are not actually read the thread.

1. I did not buy grey market gear knowingly.
  2. I do not intend to pay a restocking fee.
  3. Not paying shipping
  4. Not paying insurance (actually I have to confirm this)
  5. Not buying the same exact grey market camera.
  6. I wont get the same warranty
  7. The new camera will be eligible for Canon services

Regards, B.W.

Actually B.W. I have read the thread, as some of my previous replies show.  The reply above wasn't about the overall thread.  I was simply agreeing with Ebiggs1 general statement for anyone else reading the thread and wondering about grey market gear.  I have also heard bad things from friends firsthand.  I know my reply did not apply to the original post that you created... just his comment.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

Grey market gear can be a good decision as long as you realize before you buy and the value received is worth any additional risk, unfortunately some retailers and sellers do a good job of hiding the status of what they sell.  Also realize that even authorized retailers will sometimes sell both "market authorized" and grey market products so just going by authorized retailer isn't always a guarantee however authorized retailers generally do a good job of clearly identifying grey market items.

I have bought a few grey market items over the years in various product categories, sometimes because the risk/return tradeoff made it a good decision and in other cases the product I wanted simply wasn't available through an authorized channel.  True grey market items are simply items sold in a market and/or through a channel not authorized by the manufacturer or authorized importer.  They aren't counterfeit, "seconds", or otherwise of lesser quality.  But they won't come with a manufacturer's warranty through the authorized channel, they may not include all normal accessories or the accessories included may not be country appropriate (i.e. wrong power cord/adapter/charger), and information included may be in a language not typical for the country of sale.  The least scrupulous of sellers may remove factory included accessories and either leave them out entirely or substitute third party items of lesser value (batteries, "kit" lens, etc.)  So buyer beware applies even more when purchasing through an manufacturer unauthorized channel.

One of my 5DS R bodies is grey market, it works just like my other one and came with the same accessories.  I still have and use a grey market Seiko watch I bought when I was in the PhD program and part of my doctoral dissertation was based upon grey market products and leakage between imperfectly sealed distribution channels 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

B.W.

"I did not buy grey market gear knowingly."

That is the problem with Amazon Marketplace.  I do not think they are required to disclose if the product is grey market or otherwise not eligible for a full manufacturer's warranty in the US or elsewhere.  I don't know if Amazon doesn't care or has other reasons for not requiring disclosure.

I bought a EF-S 10-18mm STM IS "renewed" lens from the Amazon Renewed Store.  The lens arrived promptly, looked and performed like new and continues to do so.  The seller gave me their 1 year warranty. 

I read posts similar to yours and got curious and noticed the literature packed with the lens had Canon's Tokyo address at the top of the page.  Other items I purchased on Amazon that were not renewed had Canon USA's address on the top (as well as USA warranty cards).  I assume that the lens was originally sold or intended for sale outside of the USA.  Since I'm satisfied with my purchase and saved a some money buying the renewed lens, It's not an issue with me.  However I would have liked to know up front that the lens is or may be grey market.

With regard to to inclusion of accessories, etc. and "stuff" that came with your kit or package deal, for me, that's a red herring that something is amiss.  Reminds me of one my first visit to New York City 30+ years ago when "electronics and camera shops" were everywhere and had Canon and other name brand cameras in their windows for "too good to be true" prices.  When I went in to inquire further, I was informed that the lens cap, camera strap, close up and wide angle filter set, case, tripod, lens cap keeper strap and warranty were all extra and had to be purchased in to obtain that "special" price.  It appears to me that those types of sellers are now doing pretty much the same thing on line.

Thanks for sharing your story.  That's true, some people find value in huge discounts.  For me that wasn't the case.  I would be paying the same price as the Canon website except getting 14 extra bundled items. Most of which were flimsy pieces of crap.  Best free item in the package was a mediocre name brand SD card.

But even if I was saving like 50% off the item I would probably still not buy a grey market camera or lens. And thats because during my research I learned something else on top of all the reasons that were previously listed for not keeping the bundle.  That thing is that grey market items might not be firmware upgradable. Which means when Canon comes out with fixes to Cameras and lenses, I wouldn't be able to update.

Regards, B.W.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is the serial number that may prevent FW update not the camera. If you find the FW update on the Canon website of origin you can update the FW. The very same serial number that will prohibit the Canon USA warranty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I realize it may be possible if you find the firmware by region and while also knowing your camera serials region.  Problem comes in when you try to find the distribution region for a grey market serial number.  I have already emailed CanonUK and CanonUSA - neither of them have the serial number in their database. Canon USA also informed we that there is no global lookup system. Which means you must endlessly email All the Canon Regions.  If you have even more grey market items then that is a lot of work and annoyance to remember or document all the places you need to check.

Regards, B.W.
Announcements