cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 packaging damaged, missing manual, missing US warranty card

Genetics2010
Contributor

I live in the USA and purchased the R8 off of the US Amazon site from a third party Brand New(body only). A relatively large seller that is a company.   When I got the camera the box was a bit beaten up and the manual was not in a plastic - Also a little worn and bent.  The Charger was a two piece charger with cord.  I also did not get the USA & Canada only paper.  My question is if I should be concerned in any way?  I mean the camera and battery look brand new.  However I can't verify shutter count because canon makes it impossible.

Regards, B.W.
Canon Gear: EOS R8, 16mm, 50mm
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Definitely return the device as soon as possible. Do not use it.
If it does not have US documentation it is likely a very grey market unit or one that has been brought over by a 3rd party and taken on by the reseller.   It is also likely used and the numbering reset.  I strongly advice to make a photographic record (not using that camera) of the camera, the charger and documentation before returning it, in case there is some prevarication from the reseller.
If you want to buy a camera get it from an authorized reseller or via Canon's Refurbished site - those cameras may never have been used but the box open, or even just excess stock.  They are good as new and come with a guarantee from Canon.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

If the unit is grey market, or from another country Canon service may no be prepared to service it - warranties are regional, not global.  For example, because I live in NZ, my warranty is valid for NZ and Australia, but not elsewhere.
Thus you might not be able to purchase a care pack at all.
I am with the others, return it immediately.  The fact that it is not as advertised is enough reason to lose trust in its own right.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I am with the others, return it immediately. "

Great idea, not, and pay the 20% restocking fee for most likely nothing to gain. There is no difference in quality with gray market and USA models. They are exactly the same and come off the very same production line. The warranty is the only issue here and any support from Canon USA. My advice is lesson learned and move on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You probably sold me this camera... 😭

Regards, B.W.

Not necessarily. Gray market can give you items meant to ship outside the US. Which may have different hardware or firmware for working with different network protocols. And at worse, the vendor swapped out original parts for inferior versions. Always say “no” to gray market.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I did not! 🤔

Hey its your choice. Make your decision and live with it. Send it back or keep it, its your choice. I merely stated the pros on keeping it and the cost of returning it. Makes no difference to me.

EB

Stephen

The only Authorized Canon Dealer on Amazon is Amazon.com. That means the product must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com. Any third parties are considered Gray Market and may not be eligible for warranty repairs or support from Canon USA. 

Exactly, thank you Stephen.

cheers, TREVOR

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Once you found out you made a mistake it’s probably a good idea to not multiply it by making another. Returning it without thought is the second mistake!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Once you found out you made a mistake it’s probably a good idea to not multiply it by making another. 

I enjoy the circus act. And just so I understand correctly... you own grey market EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses? 

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Returning it without thought is the second mistake!

Without thought? Did you read the title of this thread? 

Thanks for you feedback, but I believe I am making the right decision. If not, I will come back and share a story of dread for your satisfaction.

Regards, B.W.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I own no grey market gear nor would I buy one knowingly. However if I did by accident I would not return it pay a restocking fee and shipping and insurance just to then buy another exact camera just to get a one year warranty. That is the extent of my logic but the decision is yours and makes no difference to me which way you go.

EB
Announcements