cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 packaging damaged, missing manual, missing US warranty card

Genetics2010
Contributor

I live in the USA and purchased the R8 off of the US Amazon site from a third party Brand New(body only). A relatively large seller that is a company.   When I got the camera the box was a bit beaten up and the manual was not in a plastic - Also a little worn and bent.  The Charger was a two piece charger with cord.  I also did not get the USA & Canada only paper.  My question is if I should be concerned in any way?  I mean the camera and battery look brand new.  However I can't verify shutter count because canon makes it impossible.

Regards, B.W.
Canon Gear: EOS R8, 16mm, 50mm
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Definitely return the device as soon as possible. Do not use it.
If it does not have US documentation it is likely a very grey market unit or one that has been brought over by a 3rd party and taken on by the reseller.   It is also likely used and the numbering reset.  I strongly advice to make a photographic record (not using that camera) of the camera, the charger and documentation before returning it, in case there is some prevarication from the reseller.
If you want to buy a camera get it from an authorized reseller or via Canon's Refurbished site - those cameras may never have been used but the box open, or even just excess stock.  They are good as new and come with a guarantee from Canon.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree, definitely photo document the return.  Repackage, ship insured and request a signature.  

If you purchase from Canon, B&H or Adorama, you'll have your new camera in 3-6 days.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you everyone.  I am going to return the camera and purchase from a reputable dealer.  BTW, what about BestBuy? or Amazon if it is Shipped and Sold by Amazon?

Regards, B.W.

I personally would still be leary of Amazon; I just don't trust them for electronics at all.  Best Buy can be OK.  However, it has happened that Best Buy sometimes attempts to resell open gear as brand new.  So be careful with them.

My personal choice is B&H Photo.  I have also on occassion purchased from Adorama.  No issues at all with either.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I just placed an order for the EOS R8 from Canon Refurbished.  However. They take $180 off of $1349 when the list price for the new one on Canon is $1299.  IDK, I don't want to complain as everyone has been so nice, so I just went ahead and ordered it.

Regards, B.W.

It could be that the current sales prices don’t apply to refurbished items.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

You are correct, Ricky.  I bought my refurb R8 for the short time they had it for $999 in January.  The refurb site listed the normal full retail price of $1,499 - saying $500 off, even though there was a Canon sale going on at the time for $1,299.

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

"However. They take $180 off of $1349 when the list price for the new one on Canon is $1299."

Keep in mind that these refurbs are basically a new camera - so at $1,169 that is less than the current sale price of $1,299 (normally $1,499).  Some have been a display model, or an open box return, or overstock, or even damaged boxes.  The nice thing with the refurbs is that you get Canon certified technicians going over the camera 100% to make sure everything is working perfectly.  From what I've heard, that is better than the spot checks on the new cameras coming off the line.

My refurb R8 is in perfect working condition, and does not look like it was ever used - which it most likely was not.  The only difference you might notice is that it might come in a different box (mine came in a Canon Powershot box), but everything was included that was supposed to be there.  Moving forward, I'll try to buy all of my Canon products as refurbished from now on (if available).

Gary

Digital: Canon R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various RF, EF, and Rokinon lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax Spotmatic, Pentax K1000, Pentax K2000, Miranda DR, Zenit 12XP, Kodak Retina Automatic II, Kodak Duaflex III, and various lenses

“ However, it has happened that Best Buy sometimes attempts to resell open gear as brand new.  So be careful with them. “

This issue is more prevalent than people realize.  I would not blame the Best Buy brand because this is an issue that occurs in most big box store brands like Price Club, BJs, Sam’s Club, etc.

The basic problem is how they store big ticket items like cameras, televisions, and other expensive items.  The items are not displayed on the sales floor.  Only a demo model is on display.

The inventory stock is typically kept in a separate, locked area.  This sounds as if should be so far, so good.  But this practice is what creates the issue.  

New items are often stored on the same shelf adjacent to customer returns of the same product.  Any given store may or may not separates the products into “new” and “returns”.  Most locations do not.

The fact that Canon does not ship their products in sealed boxes does not help.   A customer may return a camera saying the charger does not work.  So a Sales Associate may cannibalize parts from a “new” box, which may later be sold as a new product at another customer at a later date.

Even worse, because customer returns are typically stored adjacent to new items, a sales associate my not know, recognize, or care about the difference.  

This is how “open box” items can be sold as a “new” item.  there isn’t a strategy to deceive or cheat customers.  It is mostly sloppy business practices.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Genetics2010 wrote:

Thank you everyone.  I am going to return the camera and purchase from a reputable dealer.  BTW, what about BestBuy? or Amazon if it is Shipped and Sold by Amazon?

“ Do I contact Amazon return services? or do I just start the Return process send it back and wait for the battle to begin?

Every time I order from Amazon they send me a “How was your order?”” email.  You can use the link inside the email to initiate a return.  

As far as Best Buy goes, the Best Buy online marketplace is not all that different from Amazon.  The main difference is that the Best Buy marketplace is limited to electronics and related accessories.

Amazon and Best Buy are both Factory Authorized Canon dealers.  You will also find resellers that are not Factory Authorized Canon dealers on both sites.  I discourage people from using big box stores for big ticket items, mainly because of inventory control issues, which can vary widely from one location to the next.

I make nearly all my camera gear purchases through Canon and B&H.  There are other reputable dealers out there.  Those are just the two that I use.  I have had no reason to try another vendor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

That's interesting about your comment about unsealed boxes Bill.  When I have got the more recent items here in NZ they have actually had a seal.   I think that may be something to do with the conditions of sale specific to NZ.
You can't return an item because you don't like it, or find it not suitable for your purposes if the seal is broken.  So if the seal is unbroken you should get away with it within 5 working days of receipt.
You can return an item that is faulty under manufacturers' warranties - which for most places in the world seems to be 1 year.
However, all sales of products or services not supplied for professional use are subject to a piece of legislation called the Consumers' Guarantees Act: What is the New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act? | LegalVision
This essentially puts the onus on the vendor of the product to service, support or replace it in the event of a failure, poor performance or breakage for what is considered a reasonable time and sits outside the maker's warranty.
For camera equipment that period is 5 years, so Canon have adapted and simply offered a 5-year warranty with all their gear:

Tronhard_0-1708292537030.png

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements