cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R8 packaging damaged, missing manual, missing US warranty card

Genetics2010
Contributor

I live in the USA and purchased the R8 off of the US Amazon site from a third party Brand New(body only). A relatively large seller that is a company.   When I got the camera the box was a bit beaten up and the manual was not in a plastic - Also a little worn and bent.  The Charger was a two piece charger with cord.  I also did not get the USA & Canada only paper.  My question is if I should be concerned in any way?  I mean the camera and battery look brand new.  However I can't verify shutter count because canon makes it impossible.

Regards, B.W.
Canon Gear: EOS R8, 16mm, 50mm
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Definitely return the device as soon as possible. Do not use it.
If it does not have US documentation it is likely a very grey market unit or one that has been brought over by a 3rd party and taken on by the reseller.   It is also likely used and the numbering reset.  I strongly advice to make a photographic record (not using that camera) of the camera, the charger and documentation before returning it, in case there is some prevarication from the reseller.
If you want to buy a camera get it from an authorized reseller or via Canon's Refurbished site - those cameras may never have been used but the box open, or even just excess stock.  They are good as new and come with a guarantee from Canon.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

By "third party", was it an authorized Canon Reseller? In any case, return it.  Also see Where to Buy.  Personally, even though Canon and authorized resellers sell within Amazon, I never trust Amazon for any electronics.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I would not keep the device.  Could it be ok, maybe.  The risk it might not be, is not worth it.  Why take a chance.  The R8 is available everywhere in brand new condition and with USA Warranty.  Shutter count is the least of your worries.  The reasons for not purchasing from non-authorized dealers or shady sellers are many and clear.  You are free to do what you want, but I suggest you consider our recommendations.  You'll enjoy your camera and will know its new, and one that's intended for sale in the US buying from an authorized dealer.      

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Definitely return the device as soon as possible. Do not use it.
If it does not have US documentation it is likely a very grey market unit or one that has been brought over by a 3rd party and taken on by the reseller.   It is also likely used and the numbering reset.  I strongly advice to make a photographic record (not using that camera) of the camera, the charger and documentation before returning it, in case there is some prevarication from the reseller.
If you want to buy a camera get it from an authorized reseller or via Canon's Refurbished site - those cameras may never have been used but the box open, or even just excess stock.  They are good as new and come with a guarantee from Canon.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for all the responses.  The reason I purchased it was because it was the same price the Canon website had except their package included about 13 extra bundled items (like tripods & SD card, etc.)

But after reading all your advice... I am extremely upset and uneasy with keeping my purchase. I did video record the unboxing and everything from my Canon M50 because I create YouTube Videos.  The problem is that I have taken 4 pictures from the camera itself already.  I feel like if I try to return the R8 they will charge me a restocking fee. Plus I opened a lot of the bundled items(cheap pieces of garbage) but who knows what they value those as when I try to return the R8 bundle.

I have been investigating now.  I am not able the find this Amazon third party seller in the newest list of authorized US sellers list I got off Canon website.  I have tried using there Amazon profile name and there business name and I don't see them in the list. I have also been checking there one star comments.  One person left a review yesterday stating that they sold him a grey market camera. Another person said they received a fake Canon camera. But I don't think this R8 is fake... Some people say they are hard to contact with issues.

I feel like this is going to be a battle to get ALL of my money back.  I'm not even sure where to start... Do I try to contact the seller first? I don't think they are going to give a complete refund.  Do I contact Amazon return services? or do I just start the Return process send it back and wait for the battle to begin?

I'm so upset now. I feel sick to my stomach and I will never order from market places or third parties again. Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, B.W.
Canon Gear: EOS R8, 16mm, 50mm

Avoid those bundles; they are not worth it.  And they could very well be gray market items in which a shady seller could even take out premium parts (like original batteries) and replace them with inferior parts.  The draw is that the seller makes it seem like an incredible deal; it's not.

Not surprised that you could not find the seller on Canon's authorized seller list.

In terms of how to get a refund, you'll need to work with Amazon.  From your account on Amazon, you should be able to see your recent orders.  Then, there should be a button like "Return or replace items" near the item you purchased.

--
Ricky

As an extra note, even if you have to pay a restocking fee, it will be well worth it to return.  Take it all as a lesson learned, pick up a new EOS R8 from an authorized seller, and then enjoy creating photos/videos.

--
Ricky

maybe your credit card company can get you relief 

I feel for you... These massive bundles are a trap.  They often contain a lot of poor quality items, many of which you may never use in order to make the whole thing look like a massive deal - usually, they are not.  The old saying: "you get what you pay for" is never truer than under these circumstances.
Definitely contact the credit card company and see what they can do for you, and get in touch with the supplier - they should have left some documentation of their details. Also, contact Amazon to let them know the goods were not as advertised and send them images of the grubby documentation and foreign charger.

cheers, TREVOR

Items that come from Amazon ware houses if  returned by the buyer gets put on pallets and auctioned off to the highest bidder. The buyer doesn’t know what they are getting until they start going through it. Could be brand new, broken, missing parts or any combination. The stuff is eventually resold mostly on the internet. eBay Amazon, Facebook or other places but you get the idea.
Your camera probably came from one of the Amazon returned merchandise pallets. It was probably opened at some point and who knows what  it went through before it got to you.

If you buy something from an Amazon 3rd party seller the return goes directly back to them

Buyers beware 

Announcements