cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 - No reliable Wifi or Bluetooth or USB connectivity

interzone
Contributor

I've seen others mentioning this problem, but no one seems to have a solution other than just pulling data directly from the card(s).

WI-FI: The camera connects to my wi-fi network, and the connection is so ridiculously slow that if/when I DO get the EOS Utility to recognise that my camera is on the network (about 30% of the time), the behaviors are ludicrous.

DPP4 fires up and takes about 6-7 minutes to paint the screen with the thumbnails of the first 30 or so images. If I scroll, it needs to take 6-7 minutes to paint the screen again. If I select the first 30 images on screen and choose to download them (RAW), I usually get the transfer screen, no progress is made and then about 3-10 minutes later (with no progress at all), the transfer window disappears and the connection appears to be severed.

Just for giggles, I click on the "Remote shooting" button since it's still active in DPP4, and after a moment, I get the dialog box "EOS Utility is not ready." In fact, it appears my camera has powered down. No touch screen works, no button press wakes it, etc... So, I power cycle it.

Bluetooth: I can pair with my computer, but then I can never get the camera to connect. 

USB: Steps to reproduce: Plug USB cable into Camera and PC (3.2 USB port) and nothing happens. Ever. No new drive. EOS Utility shows nothing. No connection. Completely useless.

Save to cloud: I set up Google drive successfully on the Canon R5, and figured this might be an option to try.... it works! But by my reckoning and the Google logs, on average it takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes PER RAW IMAGE. For the 2500+ images on my card, it will take HALF A YEAR to upload them to Google. I took one of the raw images directly from the memory card, and MANUALLY uploaded it on the same internet connection and it took LESS THAN 1 MINUTE ... so don't give me the "oh those raw files are mighty big" excuse. They are roughly between 40 and 60 meg.

FTP:  Set up FTP Server, verified connectivity from an alternate computer in the house (dead simple setup: no SSL, allow anonymous access) ... then I set up the FTP connection on the camera. I used an IP Address to indicate which server in the house had the FTP server on it. Every time I try to connect with the camera, I get "No response from DNS Server." / Err 22 .... there's no DNS server involved here at all! Why am I getting this error? 

Firmware version on Camera is 1.5.2. and ALL of the required software is up to date on my PC. 

Signal strength when connected to WIFI is between -35dBm and -43dBm

Seems like nothing at all works ever. Why bother to put these features on the camera if they don't work??

12 REPLIES 12

What type of computer are you using?  There are known issues with most of the AMD chipsets, except for the absolute newest releases from earlier this year.  

There are also known issues associated with using a USB port expander.  They do not always provide sufficient power to the USB port electronics in the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10900KF CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Edition Windows 10 Pro Version 21H2
OS build 19044.1766
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Mother board is an MSI MEG-Z490 ACE with 64G RAM and 2x2T M2 Ultra RAM Hard drives.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Here is how to execute EOSU3 directly:

Screenshot 2022-07-04 145730.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements