cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 - No reliable Wifi or Bluetooth or USB connectivity

interzone
Contributor

I've seen others mentioning this problem, but no one seems to have a solution other than just pulling data directly from the card(s).

WI-FI: The camera connects to my wi-fi network, and the connection is so ridiculously slow that if/when I DO get the EOS Utility to recognise that my camera is on the network (about 30% of the time), the behaviors are ludicrous.

DPP4 fires up and takes about 6-7 minutes to paint the screen with the thumbnails of the first 30 or so images. If I scroll, it needs to take 6-7 minutes to paint the screen again. If I select the first 30 images on screen and choose to download them (RAW), I usually get the transfer screen, no progress is made and then about 3-10 minutes later (with no progress at all), the transfer window disappears and the connection appears to be severed.

Just for giggles, I click on the "Remote shooting" button since it's still active in DPP4, and after a moment, I get the dialog box "EOS Utility is not ready." In fact, it appears my camera has powered down. No touch screen works, no button press wakes it, etc... So, I power cycle it.

Bluetooth: I can pair with my computer, but then I can never get the camera to connect. 

USB: Steps to reproduce: Plug USB cable into Camera and PC (3.2 USB port) and nothing happens. Ever. No new drive. EOS Utility shows nothing. No connection. Completely useless.

Save to cloud: I set up Google drive successfully on the Canon R5, and figured this might be an option to try.... it works! But by my reckoning and the Google logs, on average it takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes PER RAW IMAGE. For the 2500+ images on my card, it will take HALF A YEAR to upload them to Google. I took one of the raw images directly from the memory card, and MANUALLY uploaded it on the same internet connection and it took LESS THAN 1 MINUTE ... so don't give me the "oh those raw files are mighty big" excuse. They are roughly between 40 and 60 meg.

FTP:  Set up FTP Server, verified connectivity from an alternate computer in the house (dead simple setup: no SSL, allow anonymous access) ... then I set up the FTP connection on the camera. I used an IP Address to indicate which server in the house had the FTP server on it. Every time I try to connect with the camera, I get "No response from DNS Server." / Err 22 .... there's no DNS server involved here at all! Why am I getting this error? 

Firmware version on Camera is 1.5.2. and ALL of the required software is up to date on my PC. 

Signal strength when connected to WIFI is between -35dBm and -43dBm

Seems like nothing at all works ever. Why bother to put these features on the camera if they don't work??

12 REPLIES 12

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The Canon EOS Utility has its own EOS Launcher Service, so you do not need to adjust any Windows settings telling the OS what to do when it detects a camera.  Leave Windows set to do nothing when it detects a camera.

Try this.  Make sure the camera Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled.  Turn it offf.  Connect the camera with USB.  Turn it on.  If the EOS Utility 3 does not launch after a few seconds, then you will have to start it manually the first time.  

Go into the START menu.  Open the “Canon Utilities” folder.  Run “EOS Utility 3”.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I haven't changed any WIndows settings which would tell the camera what to do when it detects a camera. The pnp launcher service is running in the background unmolested. I'll try your USB idea and see what happens. Need to wait for a battery to charge first. 😞

EOS Utility 3 did not launch after 90 seconds. I launched it manually instead (It seems to be named "EOS Utility" now, not "EOS Utility 3?." I got a black window with a camera and a gray line to a laptop. The window says "Connect an EOS camera." There is a refresh button (1), and another button which says "Pairing over Wi-Fi/LAN" (2) and another which says "Close." (3)  Pressing button #1 causes a dialog box to pop up that says "Check for updates" and "No updates are available" with an OK and close button active. Pressing button 2 causes the "EOS Pairing Software" dialog box to appear. Columns for Camera model, MAC address, and IP address remain empty with the "Connect" button greyed out. The only thing you can do is wait (I did for 3 minutes), and click the X button. Finally, button 3 - the Close button - closes the black dialog box altogether. 

That’s right.  The installer does not create a shortcut for it in the START menu.  You will need to go into the C/Probrams…./Canon… to find it.  

I recommend that you right-clic on the file and create a desktop shortcut.  Adding it to the START menu is a little trickier, if you want it to appear in the “Canon Utilities” folde.r

Ok - so "EOS Utility" and "EOS Utility 3" are different programs. I tried the experiment of unplugging everything, turning the camera off, plugging in the USB cable, and turning the camera on. I waited and nothing happened. (Wifi and Bluetooth are disabled) So I navigated to where the EOS Utility 3 exe lives (C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EU3) and created a shortcut / link. Then I copied that into the start menu with the rest of the Canon utilities (need admin access for this by the way) at: "C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Canon Utilities\EOS Utility\" . I started it from there and ... I got the EOS Utility 3 window with everything except "Preferences...", the check for updates button, and "Quit" greyed out. I tried power cycling the camera, unplugging, and replugging, trying a different cable, and verified that the USB port I plugged into was not only active, but able to communicate with USB 3.2. Nothing worked.

I did however manage to copy the CFExpress card contents onto a blank MicroSD card using the internal camera menu to do so, and I able to get the CR3's off my CFExpress without a card reader ... which was my goal. Interesting though that NOTHING Canon provides works AT ALL to get RAW images off the camera. 😞  

@interzone wrote:

Ok - so "EOS Utility" and "EOS Utility 3" are different programs. I tried the experiment of unplugging everything, turning the camera off, plugging in the USB cable, and turning the camera on. I waited and nothing happened. (Wifi and Bluetooth are disabled) So I navigated to where the EOS Utility 3 exe lives (C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EU3) and created a shortcut / link. Then I copied that into the start menu with the rest of the Canon utilities (need admin access for this by the way) at: "C:\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Canon Utilities\EOS Utility\" . I started it from there and ... I got the EOS Utility 3 window with everything except "Preferences...", the check for updates button, and "Quit" greyed out. I tried power cycling the camera, unplugging, and replugging, trying a different cable, and verified that the USB port I plugged into was not only active, but able to communicate with USB 3.2. Nothing worked.

I did however manage to copy the CFExpress card contents onto a blank MicroSD card using the internal camera menu to do so, and I able to get the CR3's off my CFExpress without a card reader ... which was my goal. Interesting though that NOTHING Canon provides works AT ALL to get RAW images off the camera. 😞  

The greyed out items in EOSU 3 probably means your camera is not connecting to the PC.  Try a different cable and/or USB port.

Turning the camera on when it is connected via USB, Windows should make the “bippitty-boppitty-boot” noise when it recognizes a USB device.. You could be missing a multi-media driver, which is usually installed with Windows Media Player.

I strongly advise against the use of microSD cards.  They are not recommended for use.  The adapters are notorious for failing and corrupting the memory card.

To quote another forum member, “They will work until they don’t.”

I have verified that this USB port is working at 3.2 top speed / voltage, but have tried another port just for the heck of it with the same result. I am using the Canon-supplied cable. I also have a high-voltage cable for my phone and there is no behavior different when swapping it out.

[...] You could be missing a multi-media driver, which is usually installed with Windows Media Player.

This is an interesting thought. I'm curious as to how I might install this without having Windows Media Player take over my machine. I don't use WMP at all, and try to avoid it in general. Adobe Premier is installed on this machine, along with VLC and a Plex server. Together they meet all of my Multimedia needs. WMP is invasive and way too much like iTunes for my liking. 

Is there anywhere that Canon lists the native Windows drivers necessary for their USB connection to function? I'd be happy to spot install those drivers and test. I'm tempted to plug up into a laptop with a default install of Windows and see what happens. It will take me a hot minute to re-partition and/or wipe Linux off my laptop though. 😞 

Even if microSD cards are ill-advised, I was able to copy all of the CFExpress card's contents onto one inside the camera and then remove the microSD card to get at the CFExpress card contents. This only took 10 minutes and if there had been a problem with the microSD card during the process, it could be replaced/re-formatted and the data would still be intact on the CFExpress card. No other transfer methods have worked or were as promising.

Thank you for your help and commentary. I don't think these problems are even close to being solved, but it's nice to push the diagnosis forward. I'm probably going to try to open a Canon ticket on this because even when a transfer method works, it's so unstable or slow as to be unusable. 

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

BTW, when you run DPP3 where athe files stored?  You almost make it sound as if the files are still on the memory card in the camera.

DPP4 runs automatically when I choose the option to select and download files from the camera. The images are still on the card and the goal is to get them into a computer folder so I can apply my lightroom workflow.

Announcements