cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5: No faces in the composition - so no focus ?

mangurian
Rising Star

Hello -

I have a back button set to focus on faces.  The image shown here (a jpg capture of the RAW file) had no faces and My R5 therefore did not focus on anything.  Is this the default when no face is found?  I was too dumb to practice and learn about this before my trip.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

That is not my experience.   I have face/eye detect pretty well always enabled and even when there is no face to detect, I still get a focus.  I too use BBF, single point centred, with servo and with face/eye tracking.   I point at my desired point of focus, tap the AF-ON and recompose to shoot.  I never seem to have a problem, I must admit.

Still, I wonder if you are not using single-point centred if you would get better results.   Without that, if the focus cannot find a face across the frame then it would revert to looking for the closest point, or with the best contrast.  So, by forcing single point, I can force that specifically.

Failing that I have Face/eye animal plus all the rest set to C1, while C2 is the same but with humans.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

mangurian,

I'd say that if you are taking pictures that don't have any faces, then disable your face detection in your settings. Just use single point.

You did a fairly reasonable job anyway.

PS: If you want to insert a picture in your post, click on the little icon that looks like a camera.

Steve Thomas

focus points.jpg

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

That is not my experience.   I have face/eye detect pretty well always enabled and even when there is no face to detect, I still get a focus.  I too use BBF, single point centred, with servo and with face/eye tracking.   I point at my desired point of focus, tap the AF-ON and recompose to shoot.  I never seem to have a problem, I must admit.

Still, I wonder if you are not using single-point centred if you would get better results.   Without that, if the focus cannot find a face across the frame then it would revert to looking for the closest point, or with the best contrast.  So, by forcing single point, I can force that specifically.

Failing that I have Face/eye animal plus all the rest set to C1, while C2 is the same but with humans.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is not what they hold in their hand, it's what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements