cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 650 lens fitting what other body ??

monradon
Contributor

I ran across by accident the post https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/I-was-given-a-Canon-650-EOS-35-mm-camera-with-lens-70-210-mm-...

It recommends the T4i or T3i bodys and on reading it seems most favor the T3i is this right ??  What other bodys would work or does the EF lens work on them all ?? I guess i need the recomendation on a good book ??

8 REPLIES 8

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Since it is an EF lens, not an EF-S lens, it will fit on any body that Canon makes. The T3's and 4's are getting a bit long in the tooth. Currently, the T7i would be the recommended camera with an APS-C sensor.

how do I tell the difference ??

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Any body with “t” is a crop sensor body. An EF lens with a red dot will fit any EOS body; not EOS-M. Will also fit EOS R or RP with the Canon adapter.

EF-S lenses, which only fit crop sensor EOS bodies, have a white square instead of a red dot.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I still have my EOS 650 film camera I bought a LONG time ago.  It was a reliable DSLR body and I had my daughter learn photography with it 3 years ago because I wanted her to have the discipline of shooting with film before letting her have my 1D Mark II body.

The nice thing about having bought real Canon lenses with the 650 is they will still work with modern bodies unlike most of the third party stuff that was often put in a package deal with them by retailers and generally won't work with modern Cannon DSLR bodies.   Canon did a nice design job with that lens and it still provides beautiful images over 30 years after it was designed and as others noted will work well with both full frame and "crop" bodies.

A good book along with deciding what you want to do with your camera will be your best guide to which body to choose.  Canon makes a very wide range and of course mirrorless is an option now although not one that appeals to me yet.  Spend some time reading about what is available and thinking about what features are important to you.

And if you still like using film once in awhile, the new Canon EF lenses you purchase will work with your 650. I shot a couple of rolls of film using my recently acquired EF 300 2.8 and I would have loved ot have a lense of that capability back when I was first using my 650.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

" I wanted her to have the discipline of shooting with film before letting her have my 1D Mark II ..."

Why?  Is it because you can't learn photography using a DSLR like a 1D Mk II?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I have seen so many people starting out with digital who shoot a huge number of images like a thug with a machine gun rather than concentrating on learning the basics of photography AND getting quality images. 

I went through this same process last summer with a soccer player I formerly coached who was taking a photography course as a general elective in college and asked for some help.  She is a sharp young woman who picks things up quickly and probably would have been far better off with any decent book than the course.  It was late in the course when she asked for help and even the most basic principles including things like the "exposure triangle" hadn't been covered and the course basically consisted of shoot a lot of jpg images in auto mode and share with your fellow students. 

I asked her if the primary focus of the course was composition but from what she shared of the syllabus and her experience it appeared the primary focus of the course was to minimize faculty workload.

Certainly one can learn on starting out with digital but the constraint of a limited number of captures per role of film provides a nice starting discipline in my opinion while others will certainly feel differently.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"I have seen so many people starting out with digital who shoot a huge number of images ..." "... the most basic principles including things like the "exposure triangle" hadn't been covered..."

Me too, but that is the fault of the instructor not the student or the gear they are using.  Bottom line a DSLR works exactly like a film camera and can be taught as such.  Finally most schools have begun to realize to that fact.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

Just to confirm, you are talking about an EOS 650 film camera, right? (In some markets that was also an EOS 650D digital)

Assuming it's a film camera, which was one of the very first EOS models, introduced in 1987, the lens used on it can probably be used on any modern Canon DSLR. If it's a Canon lens, it definitely will work. But if it's a third party lens (made by someone other than Canon) it may not be compatible with a much newer camera. Sometimes 3rd party lenses work... sometimes they don't.

Either T4i (2012) and T3i (2011) would be fine. However, be aware those are older models that have been superseded by several generations of newer, improved models. The current T7i has a more advanced and capable autofocus system and a much higher resolution image sensor.

Also note that the T7, T6, etc. (no "i") are much more "entry level" models, without a lot of the features found on the T3i, T4i, through T7i. . 

EDIT: A Canon EF lens, even an old one, also can be used on the mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras (MILC): Canon M-series and the new R-series. However, an adapter is necessary to use the lens on any of the MILC.

Frankly, while an older lens from the film days might work pretty well, there may be an advantage to a more modern lens. If that's a Canon lens, there were two EF 70-210.... the first intro'd the same year as the EOS 650 film camera, 1997, is a pretty "basic" lens. An improved version with faster "USM" focus drive was intro'd in 1990.

But a more modern lens, such as the EF-S 55-250mm IS STM has been designed specifically for digital and benefitted from a lot of lens design and manufacturing improvements over the last 30 years. It's also an "image stabilized" lens, which allows shooting sharp shots at slower shutter speeds, which is especially helpful with telephoto lenses.

A 70-210mm lens on many modern Digital SLR will "act longer" than it did on the film camera. This is because the modern DSLR has a sensor that's slightly smaller size than the image the film camera made. In this case, that 70-210 (which doesn't actually "change" focal length), will act like a 112-336mm lens would on the film camera. This is nice... more telephoto "reach" without any larger or more expensive lens.... but it also makes holding steady shots more difficult. Everyone is different, but with that  lens you probably should use a minimum 1/250 or 1/320 shutter speed, to be assured a reasonably high percentage of shots that are free of "camera shake blur". Even faster shutter speeds may be needed by some folks (or to freeze subject movement).

You will probably want a shorter focal length lens to complement that telephoto. The cameras you're considering often come with either an EF-S 18-55mm IS or EF-S 18-135mm IS lens. In either case, hopefully you can get the "STM" version, which have improved image quality over the earlier models. "STM" refers to the "stepper motor" used for focus drive, which also is faster, smoother and quieter than the micro motor used in the earlier, non-STM lenses. (Note: there is also an EF-S 18-135mm IS "USM"... but it's relatively new and mostly just found on the latest camera models, where it's often an "upgrade" option. The EF-S 18-135mm STM and USM models are optically identical... the main difference between them is the USM lens uses a new and even higher performance autofocus system.)

Hope this helps!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Announcements