cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon R5 freeze after 1.5.1 update

mgammal
Contributor

Hi Canon,

After installing firmware 1.5, I was having my R5 freeze regularly with animal eye autofocus mapped to back button focus. I installed firmware update 1.5.1 this weekend hoping it will fix the issue. I went out today to shooting some shore birds. My R5 locked up 3 times in a period of 1.5 hours of shooting, one of the three was was with error E70. In all three cases, turning the camera off/on fixed the issue; this is different from firmware 1.5 freezes, where I had to take out the battery to fix the freeze. 

Please let me know if you need more information about the camera settings. I happy to share them. 

Regards, Mo

64 REPLIES 64

mgammal
Contributor

I went out today with my R5 (firmware 1.5.2) + RF 100-500, shot for two hours. No freeze what so ever, and tracking seems better than before. 

If you had this freezing problem with 1.5 or 1.5.1, I recommend trying out this update. 

Thank you Canon!

I've been out with the R5 and the 100-500 after the 1.5.2 update. I had no issue, no freezes. However, my main issue was with the 1.4x extender. I haven't tried it with the extender yet. I might have to be brave and try the extender, but I've been very happy with 1.5.2 so far. And, I had many freezes prior. 

So far so good with the 1.5.2 update. 1000 shots and no lockups.
R5 + 100-500 lens with and without the 1.4TC
Fingers crossed

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Have any of you downloaded the update 1.5.2 yet?  If so, did it solve your issues?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Have installed 1.5.2 still get freezes 😞

eye detection autofocus is significantly better

A friend of mine had a similar issue, we found it that the lens was sometimes not mounting perfectly - leaving what must have been a tiny mis-alignment of the lens contacts: I would have thought that unlikely, but it seems to have been the issue. They unmounted the lens and then firmly engaged the lens... and it worked!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I've installed 1.5.2. I have had no freezes since the install. However, I have not tried it with my 1.4x extender. It is performing so well with both of my main lenses, the 100-500 and the RF 100-400 that I don't want to try it because of so many problems in the past. I'm happy with the way the camera is working now. 

Glad to see that your issue seems to be resolved.  I don't use an extender, so I can't comment on the risk of going with that.

cheers, TREVOR

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Paul, and thanks for responding.  Hmm. This is really odd.  I have a one R5 and two R6 units that I use with the 24-105, 24-240 and 100-500 lenses.  I use back-button (single-point) focusing and exposure lock.  I have the custom setting as: C1 High-speed, Animal Eye tracking, servo; C2: High speed, Human Eye tracking, servo, and C3: Slow speed, tracking no bias, servo.  Otherwise, Av is single shot, single point AF, non-servo.   I have updated all lens FW to current versions.

Do you still live in NZ?

cheers, TREVOR

No Trevor

Shifted across the pond to Australia 11years ago 

Announcements