cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS R!!!

JamesPope1
Apprentice

I would like to get peoples opinion about getting the Canon EOS R. I want to upgrade my camera to mirrorless and think the new RF Lens from canon look amazing plus would be a good investment for the future.

I normal take landscape and travel pictures with no videos so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me.

I have also been looking at the Sony 7iii and don’t like the look and feel of it but understand at the moment they are ahead of canon in sensor design.

Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R and/or Sony 7iii

10 REPLIES 10

@JamesPope1 wrote:

I would like to get peoples opinion about getting the Canon EOS R. I want to upgrade my camera to mirrorless and think the new RF Lens from canon look amazing plus would be a good investment for the future.

I normal take landscape and travel pictures with no videos so the crop size issues isn’t a factor for me.

I have also been looking at the Sony 7iii and don’t like the look and feel of it but understand at the moment they are ahead of canon in sensor design.

Just want to get peoples opinion who have used the EOS R and/or Sony 7iii

What is your current camera, and why do you fee obliged to consider an upgrade at this time? Your answer to those questions will affect our answer to yours.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Once again, Bob has cut directly to the chase. This is no time to let your emotional side overrun more rational considerations, unless you just have the money burning a hole in your pocket.

As Bob requested, what is your current camera, lens(es) and how long have you been using it? What does your current gear seemingly not do for you that you think a mirrorless camera is capable of doing?

If you're having a specific problem it might be worth posting a couple sample pictures here that show what you see as an issue.

John_SD
Whiz

I would not advise buying the widely panned EOS R at this time. The Mark II version is already "in testing by a small group of Canon professionals," according to Canon Rumors, which is usually dead-on with this kind of information. The R is too expensive and lags behind the competition. The site states Canon sources that say it will be released ahead of Photokina, in May 2020. I commend Canon for recognizng that the R was sinking fast and taking steps to correct its flaws. Let's hope that the new version has IBIS, a joystick instead of the clunky touch bar, 2 card slots and a price that can compete better against the competition, such as the Z6. Canon cannot afford to keep stumbling like this. 

@John_SD wrote:

I would not advise buying the widely panned EOS R at this time. The Mark II version is already "in testing by a small group of Canon professionals," according to Canon Rumors, which is usually dead-on with this kind of information. The R is too expensive and lags behind the competition. The site states Canon sources that say it will be released ahead of Photokina, in May 2020. I commend Canon for recognizng that the R was sinking fast and taking steps to correct its flaws. Let's hope that the new version has IBIS, a joystick instead of the clunky touch bar, 2 card slots and a price that can compete better against the competition, such as the Z6. Canon cannot afford to keep stumbling like this. 

I think I agree with all of John's points, including his advice to the OP not to buy an R. But I'm not sure I'd go so far as to label the R as a stumble. We all understood that the R was basically a prototype, and it serves as a test bed for some rather innovative new lenses. And it's to Canon's credit that they didn't walk away from their current "L" lens line. So I give Canon a B+ for their mirrorless effort so far.

But if the R-2 doesn't emerge as at least the equal of the 5D Mark IV, that would be a stumble.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
The EOS R seems more aimed at amateur videographers and YouTubers than professional photographers. As a general purpose camera it seems capable of doing a great job. It is not well suited for wildlife and sports photographers.

I think the value of IBIS is way overblown. It is useful to some shooting selfie videos with camera mounted on a pole. The EOS R has digital stabilization in video mode, which I would prefer.

Having IBIS adds $300+ to the cost of sensor replacement. Cleaning an IBIS sensor is something that is best left to the pros. Users can do it themselves, just like they can with a DSLR. It is one step more complicated.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
For just travel photos, go for the RP. It is on sale.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
With 2020 being a year with a Summer Olympics, Canon is late getting a new camera out of the door.

It's probably safe to say that all the replies thus far are from folks that do not own the EOS R nor have they tried it.  These folks aare very, very knowledgeable, but keep in mind they do not own a EOS R.

About 6 week ago I purchased the EOS R and added it to my Canon 7d Mark ii.  This far I have found the EOS R to deliver very high quality photos.  I enjoy the articulating display, the EVF and, the eye focus plus very fast focus.  The adapter ring has worked flawlessly with my Canon EF glass as well as Sigma 100-600 and Tamron 24-70 lenses.  The EOS R came with a RF 24-105 lens and it works nicely.  The adaspter ring is the one that has the programbale ring which performs like the ring on the RF lens.  The 30 mp sensor allows for for heavy cropping without photo degradation.  Both the camera & RF lens feel good in my hands and much lighter than my Canon 7d Mark ii. Both the camera & lens are built like a tank.  Solod feel.

The current price for the EOS R is $1799 on sale.  The rumored EOS R Mark ii will certainly have some improvements, but I'm certain the price will be $3400+.  So for now the EOS R is a bargain purchase.  I'm glad I bought the EOS R becasue the Mark ii will be out of my price range.

@DigiBill wrote:

It's probably safe to say that all the replies thus far are from folks that do not own the EOS R nor have they tried it.  These folks aare very, very knowledgeable, but keep in mind they do not own a EOS R.

I was one of them. I got the R and just discovered how wrong I was.

The camera is fantastic. It's not perfect but so far I haven't run into any situation that I cannot achieve with the R. I shoot family portrait, kids playing, landscapes, weddings & events.

Once you've owned the R, you can spot reviews from people who don't actually own one or use it for at least a while.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements