cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 6D not enabling, or disabling HSS

Dougie
Apprentice

I am trying to check out the high speed sync capabilitiesof my Canon EOS 6D and my Neewer NW565EX  speedlite. I have the speedlite on the hotshoe and turned on, and when I navigate the Shutter Synchronization menu options the flash is recognised and allows me to enable front or rear curtain settings, but not HSS it seems. I can change the shutter speed right up to 1/4000 of a second, but when I press the shutter button the camera immediately changes the shutter speed to 1/180 of a second.

I am clearly missing something ;-(. Both devices support HSS.

Thanks a lot for any asssitance you can offer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Are you sure the flash has HSS capability? I looked in the manul and I couldn't find it. Strobe, but not HSS. Maybe I missed it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

1.  You seem to have a compatibility issue.  You need to talk to the manufacturer of your Brand X strobe, not Canon. 

2.  You need to use a Canon strobe, not a Brand X strobe.  We know that they work properly without any issues

3.  You need to understand that Canon makes no claim to be compatible with Brand X.  It is Brand X that seems to have claimed to be compatible with Canon, which may not be the case..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Are you sure the flash has HSS capability? I looked in the manul and I couldn't find it. Strobe, but not HSS. Maybe I missed it.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I fear you may be correct in querying it. It makes the odd mention in the manual, but it is unclear. I fear I may have been mislead by the Amazon description of the product mentioning HSS all over the product summary. Not too worry, I ordered the product before knowing anything about HSS, so it was not a feature I needed at that stage. I have ordered an updated one which definitely does have HSS specified everywhere.

Thank you for looking, and thank you for your helpful response.

francklazare
Apprentice

I have the same issue with Nissin Di700A, with Air 1. No matter what I try, it reverts to 180. In the menu for Flash function settings there is no HSS function. And in the Flash C.Fn settings it says Incompatibable flash.  I emailed Nissin customer service, and they say it should work? I've updated to the latest firmware for the 6D.  What gives?

Just figured it out: you access the setting by going to Flash Curtain Synchronization: then you get access to HSS. It works. Yeah!

Im wondering will I have this problem with a Godox Witstro Ad360 im gonna buy for my 6D, will it just stay at 180th native 😕

Announcements