cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera missing insert plate for tripod

hheiman
Apprentice

I bought an EOS 5D Mark III off Amazon a while back, and have had a blast taking it out to the zoo, nature preserves, and botanical gardens to try it out. Unfortunately, what I actually bought it for requires being able to attach to a tripod, and when I finally got that set up, I discovered the plate with the threaded hole to screw it in is missing entirely from the camera. None of my local shops have the part and/or ability to repair it, and Amazon will only honor a full return. I've gotten rather attached to the camera, and don't want to go through the whole rigamarole of returning and re-buying, especially since now I have all these lenses and batteries I bought separately. 

Has anyone else had this problem buying camera bodies? I would assume the part is standard. Any suggestions on what to do would also be greatly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Canon manufacturers its DSLR's with a integrated tripod mount.  You can add a different style plate (optional), but body's don't include the optional plate out of the box.  

shadowsports_0-1664073813282.jpeg

If your 5D3 doesn't look like this, I would question what's been done to the camera.  Arca swiss (quick release) plates are some of the most common accessories.  The plate is secured with a recessed type thumb screw and uses a lever for easy on/off.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Mine does not look like that; the hole in the bottom is empty and missing the threads for anything to screw into; you can see right into the inside of the camera.

camera hole flash.jpg

camera hole no flash.jpg

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

It looks like it suffered a fall and the tripod thread ripped out of the bottom.

Screenshot 2022-09-25 082815.jpg

You might try Midwest Camera Repair to see if they can fix it. 

Midwest Camera Repair - Wyandotte, Michigan - 734.285.2220

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements