cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought New EOS 80D But Suspect That I Received A Unit That Was Returned By Someone Else.

Philomath
Contributor
I just purchased a New Canon EOS 80D body only and a new Canon lens separately.

There is a mail-in warranty post card for the lens in the box for the lens.

There is NO mail-in postcard for the warranty for the camera body in the box for the camera body.
There is NO DVD with software in the box for the camera body.
The camera instuction books were NOT in a sealed plastic envelope in the box for the camera body, they were just stacked inside a pocket in the box.
There was NOT any color advertising pamphlets in the box for the camera body.

I am wondering if I got a unit that was returned by someone else and not all of the items were returned with it.

Can anyone please tell me if there is supposed to be a mail-in warranty card in the box for the 80D body only?
Can anyone please tell me if there is supposed to be a dvd with software in the 80D body only box?
Can anyone please tell me if the instruction books are supposed to come in a sealed plastic envelope for the 80D body only?
Can anyone please tell me if there is supposed to be any advertising pamphlets in the box for the 80D body only?

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dear Stephen,

Thank you and thanks to everyone else who has replied to me on this wonderful forum.

I really appreciate everyone's help and advice.

With my last question answered I will now mark this solved.

Now I just have to figure out how to put the film into this camera.  LOL !  Only kidding.  Smiley Wink

Till next time. 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Where did you buy it?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I don’t specifically have an 80D... but every Canon product has a warranty card in the box tied to the product you bought (the serial number will already be printed on the card and should match the serial number printed on the camera body and the serial number printed on the box).

Canon literature is normally in sealed plastic pouches.

When you power up a camera for the first time ... it will prompt you to enter the date/time if the camera has never been used.

Canon doesn’t seal the main box ... which does allow people to look at the camera inside (it is typically in a protective pouch that is not sealed).  

When you buy a “refurbished” camera from Canon, they actually replace things like the warranty card, the instructions (you get a new set of instructions) and any cables/cords that come with the camera.

On the topic of cords... I noticed that many cameras no longer include a USB cord.  If in doubt, check Canon’s product website which will tell you everything that should be in the box for a new camera.  

I do not recall if the last camera I bought came with a DVD.  Increasingly computers don’t come with CD/DVD trays anymore and even when they did, you got newer versions of the software by downloading from the website anyway.  Consequently many companies just don’t bother with the physical disk media anymore.  (Canon’s website will tell you if they would have included one).

SOMETIMES if a customer requests a “body only” camera and the retailer only has a “kit” version in stock, they’ll remove the lens and ship the remaining contents.  (They lens is then often sold as a “white box” version ... it’s not “used” it’s just not in retail packaging because it was part of a kit.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Without the proper warranty card it is also possible you have a gray market (no U.S. warranty) camera.

It was properly packed with all specified items when it originally left Canon so it seems your camera had further adventures..

I would return it ASAP.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Philomath
Contributor

I bought it from B & H in NYC as an online purchase.

The retail box says lens not included.

Everything else looked like it was original packing, that is, the charger, strap, and battery all look like they were sealed at the manufacturer and have not been opened. There are no fingerprints on the camera body, just a few motes of dust on the reflex mirror that are barely visible.

But it just seemed suspect to me that the lens had the post card, but not the camera body. There is a 5 x 8 warranty printed description, but no post card. The lack of plastic envelope seemed odd also.

I tried asking B&H about it first by email and got a cryptic response that showed me my tracking numbers for shipment.

That was obviously a useless response.

Then I called them.

They claim that Canon packs things differently for different products and that it only matters that the hardware is there since software and manuals are available online.

When I said that I was concerned that it might have been an incompletely returned item.

They put me on hold for 2 minutes and when they came back, they claimed that they checked the serial number and that there was no previous owner for that number.

Since I am not in front of them, I can only take it on faith that they actually checked and that was the result.

I have not even taken the battery out of the package to charge it yet, because I was wondering if I got a returned unit.

So that is why I thought I would ask here. I cannot call Canon until Tuesday when the holiday is over and they may not be able to tell me if there is supposed to be a card or plastic envelope.

I posted the question on Amazon also with the hope that someone would have just bought one and be able to answer me.

Dear OP, if you still worry about it, why don't you just return the camera. Then you may go to a camera store in your area and ask if the salesperson will be willing to open up a new package for your inspection.

You are worrying a lot about the packing stuff and you will definitely be not happy and will not enjoy all else about taking photographs and video with the 80D.

YouTube unboxing videos showed different versions of packing. Some with printed manuals in sealed plastic bags and one without manual books in sealed bag. (that is abnormal)  There is one showing other advertising booklets in the bag but mostly without. B & H is an authorized dealer and I don't believe that they will ship you a gray market camera but you can still call them to confirm.

Of course, you may check the shutter counts on the camera to verify that the camera is brand new.

Dear lly3988,

Thanks for your post and your thoughts.

I would be interested in knowing how to check the shutter count if you could tell me.

As I posted earlier, I had this experience...

"Years ago I bought a superzoom point and shoot from Costco. When I opened the box in the parking lot it looked like someone had returned it and it had been repacked. I went back in the store and asked the staff. They claimed it was brand new and untouched. When I got home and charged the battery and powered it on, I found several pictures of the home and  family of the person who had bought and returned it stored in internal memory. Everything on the camera appeared to work well and so I kept it and still have and use it. But I always remember that strange feeling I got when I opened the box in the parking lot finding things not packed like from a factory, and the annoyance I felt when I found someone else's pictures inside after being told by staff it was brand new."

And so it leaves me a little wary.

Think of it this way:

Let's say you went to a car dealer to pickup your brand new car. You did the paperwork, turned over the bank check and went out to the lot with the keys to drive it home. Everything looked fine, but you opened the trunk and saw that the jack was layed out across the floor of the trunk, there was a car manual next to some of the jack pieces along with loose tools, and nothing was in any kind of bag or container.

You start to wonder, did they have a flat, did the car break down while being test driven, why is this stuff not put away in an orderly fashion. You go back to your salesperson and tell them what you found and ask what gives. The salesperson tells you, oh that's how they come in. The mechanic must have forgotten during prep to put it all away or maybe he couldn't find the bag the tools are supposed to be in. Well it seems like a reasonable explanation, but I think you would probably look at all four tires to see if they look the same and were in new condition and you might ask them to let you see another car that had just come in to know if they were telling you the truth.

I figured if I asked here on the forum, I might hear from someone who had just purchased a DSLR how theirs was packed. I actually got lucky and got some answers from the company reps who were able to tell me what is usually shipped in the box.

My final question was about whether the advanced manual is usually included in the box or whether you are expected to download it.

But if you could tell me how to check the shutter count, that would be interesting and useful to me and to anyone else who buys a new or used DSLR.

TIA

@Philomath wrote:

Dear lly3988,

Thanks for your post and your thoughts.

I would be interested in knowing how to check the shutter count if you could tell me.

As I posted earlier, I had this experience...

"Years ago I bought a superzoom point and shoot from Costco. When I opened the box in the parking lot it looked like someone had returned it and it had been repacked. I went back in the store and asked the staff. They claimed it was brand new and untouched. When I got home and charged the battery and powered it on, I found several pictures of the home and  family of the person who had bought and returned it stored in internal memory. Everything on the camera appeared to work well and so I kept it and still have and use it. But I always remember that strange feeling I got when I opened the box in the parking lot finding things not packed like from a factory, and the annoyance I felt when I found someone else's pictures inside after being told by staff it was brand new."

And so it leaves me a little wary.

Think of it this way:

Let's say you went to a car dealer to pickup your brand new car. You did the paperwork, turned over the bank check and went out to the lot with the keys to drive it home. Everything looked fine, but you opened the trunk and saw that the jack was layed out across the floor of the trunk, there was a car manual next to some of the jack pieces along with loose tools, and nothing was in any kind of bag or container.

You start to wonder, did they have a flat, did the car break down while being test driven, why is this stuff not put away in an orderly fashion. You go back to your salesperson and tell them what you found and ask what gives. The salesperson tells you, oh that's how they come in. The mechanic must have forgotten during prep to put it all away or maybe he couldn't find the bag the tools are supposed to be in. Well it seems like a reasonable explanation, but I think you would probably look at all four tires to see if they look the same and were in new condition and you might ask them to let you see another car that had just come in to know if they were telling you the truth.

I figured if I asked here on the forum, I might hear from someone who had just purchased a DSLR how theirs was packed. I actually got lucky and got some answers from the company reps who were able to tell me what is usually shipped in the box.

My final question was about whether the advanced manual is usually included in the box or whether you are expected to download it.

But if you could tell me how to check the shutter count, that would be interesting and useful to me and to anyone else who buys a new or used DSLR.

TIA

I know this is a little off topic... but I live in Detroit.  Cars actually DO get delivered to the dealer that way.  The owners manual, floor mats, etc. are all just placed in the trunk at the end of the assembly line. 

You know that "dealer prep" fee you have to pay when you buy a new car (whether we like it or not)?  THAT fee is payment for the labor the DEALER is supposed to do to put everything where it goes and put the car in "delivery ready" condition.

So you probably DID get a legit new car... but your dealer didn't complete the job you paid them to do for you.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Philomath,

We've found that most people don't open the advanced manual, so we stopped including them, as they've become a waste of resources. If you find you need one, you're welcome to download a digital copy (which is searchable and easily viewable on any e-reader or computer), or we can have one printed for you on-demand. You'll just need to call Support to order the printed version. They're at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) weekdays from 8am to Midnight (ET) or Saturdays from 10am to 8pm (ET). 

HERE is the downloadable version. 

On THIS page you'll find all of the other information about what's in the box and other support information for your 80D. 

We hope this helps!

Dear Stephen,

Thank you and thanks to everyone else who has replied to me on this wonderful forum.

I really appreciate everyone's help and advice.

With my last question answered I will now mark this solved.

Now I just have to figure out how to put the film into this camera.  LOL !  Only kidding.  Smiley Wink

Till next time. 

Announcements