cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Both EOS Utility & AF microadjustment is not working

Waiman
Contributor

I buy the brand now Canon EOs 90d and Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM Lens.

I use Canon EOS Utility 3.12.10.7 Remote live view Shoot to take the picture,

when I use Focus and click On button for focus, after focus with the beep sound,

I click the < or > button 10 times to adjust the focus point, then after few second

or click the shutter button on Utility, it will auto auto-focus again and lose my focus

adjustment.

And the AF microadjustment is not working.

After I add the Canon EF 100mm lens serial number and adjust to +19 or -19, then

take the picture the picture is the same and never changes the focus point!

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, 100% working now after change the EOS Utility 3 switch icon to "MF". Thank you

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Waiman wrote:

I buy the brand now Canon EOs 90d and Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM Lens.

Thank you.

If you have not downloaded a copy of the full User Guide for the EOS 90D from Canon Support, I suggest that you do so.

"I use Canon EOS Utility 3.12.10.7 Remote live view Shoot to take the picture,

when I use Focus and click On button for focus, after focus with the beep sound,

I click the < or > button 10 times to adjust the focus point, then after few second

or click the shutter button on Utility, it will auto auto-focus again and lose my focus

adjustment."

This sounds like normal behavior when the camera is in One Shot AF mode.  Once you have the focus set, change the lens MF/AF switch to MF so that the lens will not try to refocus when you fire the shutter.  There is more than one work around to this "problem".

"And the AF microadjustment is not working.

After I add the Canon EF 100mm lens serial number and adjust to +19 or -19, then

take the picture the picture is the same and never changes the focus point!"

This sounds like it could be normal behavior, too.  At some of the smaler aperture settings and focus distances, this behavior should be expected.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have downloaded the full User Guide, but still don't know how to fix this problem.

I use Manual exposure, F18, One Shot mode. I only use this camera with object size 1/4 to 2/4 inch mineral.

I can't change the lens MF/AF switch to MF due to wasting time and affect the focus.

+-19 is just for an example. What I actually need is for all pictures to have -5.

Before I use Canon 77D with Canon EF 100mm, it will not auto change focus point after adjusting the focus on EOS Utility.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The behavior you are describing when using the EOS Utility for tethered shooting is NOT caused by an issue with the lens front or back focusing.  This is a continuity problem, and your settings, not a lens problem.  

I strongly suggest you return the lens to its default settings and read the EOS Utulity manual so you understand what the camera is doing when shooting in LiveView mode.

Note: you do not make front or back focus adjustments to a lens until you have confirmed the lens is out of adjustment and is focusing in front or in back of your intended subject.

+/- 19..  if a lens required this much adjustment, it needs to go to Canon for inspection. 

*EDIT..  Wadizzle already point it out..  Read the manual...  your camera is doing what its setting are telling it to do.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I agree with shadow that if you are having to set such a large correction to the AF calibration, then the lens or camera needs to go to Canon service.  I use a lot of fast telephoto primes and I calibrate each lens (and also the 1.4X combo if I use it for that lens) to all of my 4 camera bodies and the largest bias I have ever had to dial in was 4 points, all the rest were within 2 points.

I am not sure how useful the AF microsadjustment is with a macro lens used near its minimum focusing distance given the extremely shallow depth of field making it difficult to get sufficient repeatability between tests to establish the needed calibration offset.  I have used my EF 100 f2.8 IS for various purposes and I think I calibrated it at around 15 feet rather than only as a macro.

With a macro lens and the extremely shallow DoF, manual fine focus is often required.  At its minimum focus distance, depth of field for this lens is 4 hundreths of an inch with the aperture wide open and even at f14 it only improves to around 2 tenths of an inch. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I use Manual exposure, F18, One Shot mode, x2.5 Lens. I only use this camera for object size 1/4 to 2/4 inch mineral. +-19 is just for an example. What I actually need is for all pictures to have -5.

I think you should forget about EOS utility and use the camera by itself until you learn how to use it. Everything seems to be working fine. 

Since focus affects the magnification, for precise macro work you need a macro rail so you can set the focus/maginfication and move the camera to achieve focus.

micro adjust is only used in autofocus to better align viewfinder focus and actual focus. If you are using live view, like with EOS utility, focus adjustment never comes into play.

+-19 is just for an example. What I actually need is for all pictures to have -5.

I reset the camera to default settings, and not set anythink, but still have the same,

EOS Utility will auto auto-focus again and lose my adjust focus.

@Waiman wrote:

I reset the camera to default settings, and not set anythink, but still have the same,

EOS Utility will auto auto-focus again and lose my adjust focus.

I think you need to forget about remote shooting with the EOS Utility until you fully understand using the camera..  Your problem iso be of unfamiliarity with how the camera works.  There is nothing wrong with it.

BTW, forget about trying to micro-adjust the focus until you gain more familiarity with the camera.  Personally, I was not aware that the your camera model, [the 77D], even offered AFMA.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements