cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you guys do it?

miketerndrup
Enthusiast

I am freaking the hell out about being able to afford the mirrorless camera and adapter how do you guys save money for it?

25 REPLIES 25

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Does your current camera not do what you need it to do?

Every new model is new for a year or two at most, then something different and often marginally better comes out.

The camera and lens are tools and you don't need new tools just because the manufacturer introduces one 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I been told that I have only a couple of years left to use my 80D but im more worried about my lenes 

The Canon EF to R adapter is $100 without the control ring or $200 with. That does not seem so bad.

Remember, it would be a good idea to keep the 80D as a backup, even with any new camera.

@miketerndrup wrote:

I been told that I have only a couple of years left to use my 80D but im more worried about my lenes 

Welcome tto the forum.

Who told you this and in what context?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

It was on Twitter a couple of months ago 

Twitter would not be my first choice for any technical information (or my second, third, or 100th).

Your 80D is a solid camera as are the EF lenses.

Friday night I am shooting a game that is so poorly lighted that I am bringing my original 1DX that I purchased 8 years ago as a third body/lens setup.  My usual game setup for HS football is a 400 f2.8 on a 1DX III and a 70-200 f2.8 on a 1DX II.  For Friday the 1DX III will keep the 400 f2.8, but the 1DX II will be using an EF 200 f2 for the extra stop and the 1DX will have an EF 85 f1.8 for those situations where the 200 is too long.  It isn't my favorite setup having to manage three cameras but for the conditions, it is the best setup I can put together without springing for two more 1DX III bodies...

Incredible images are captured every day with Powershot and similar "point and shoot" cameras. You don't need a mirrorless to take good photos and they still aren't the best tool for some photographic jobs.They are important to the survival of the major photographic companies as smartphones will continue to reduce the volume of dedicated cameras sold.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@miketerndrup wrote:

It was on Twitter a couple of months ago

--------------------------------------------------------

Smiley FrustratedSigh...

Social media has absolutely NO authority, NO editorial oversight, and NO academic or scientific rigor. It's full of opinionated people, some of whom have some idea what they are talking about, many either with their own agenda, or spouting mis-information that they have got through the same sources themselves. If you want authoritative information get it from reliable sources such as articles that are clearly researched or from professionals.

I started working in photography over 40 years ago, and I still practice for pleasure. Over the years I have shot everything from portraits, through city architecture, macros, and landscape, to birds in thick bush or apex predators, from the Australian outback via Asia to North America.

I have, and continue to teach photography both in the technical and artistic aspects. My oldest working film camera is from 1978, and my oldest DSLR is from 2000 and I still use it. It takes amazing images.

From there I have a decent sampling of gear up to the EOS R6.  I got that equipment, not because I thought it would make me a better photographer, but  because I had a technical interest in the equipment.  Some of my images are posted on this site if you want to look at them, and I have written articles reviewing gear, also published here and elsewhere. So I think I can express an opinion with some authority.

When you buy a camera it has certain capabilities, and as long as the camera is not damaged or worn out it will continue to have those capabilities. People also focus on the camera, but often ignore the optics: which, frankly, often have a greater impact on your images. However, the thing that makes the biggest impact is your skill in knowing your gear and being able to set up and capture an image that is both technically correct and artistically engaging. That comes from practice, practice, practice and study.

Study of your camera manuals and how to use the controls so they are like second nature to you and so you don't have to search for them, distracting you from that critical moment when your shot comes along. Study the work of good photographers, especially in the areas that you want to shoot in. Study ART - painters and sculpters knew a lot about positioning subjects within a landscape of field of view. I am still taking courses in art and art history to learn from the greats.

So let me say that the 80D is no less capable than it was when it came out.  It is still a great camera and will continue to be so.  There is a lot of hype about mirrorless, much of it from those who care more about the gear than the craft.  If you learn to be a good photographer you can pick up ANY camera and take good images with it.  For an example of this see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70vx4bgKzms   DO check out Sean's Youtube videos and website - he is an excellent photographer, but more importantly he is wise.

Also, you have given us absolutely no information about the context in which you will use the camera.  The suitablility of ANY tool depends on its application.  Check out my article in this site: Advice for those seeking new gear  Then, if you want more advice, come back with the answers to those questions and we can give you some good advice that is tailored for your needs about where to go in future.  In the meantime, you have a perfectly functional camera - go out and use it!

All of these images were taken on the Canon EOS 80D.  All hand-held, using available light.

IMG_2225-1-1 copy.jpg

Canada BC Vancouver Island Duncan Raptors Bald Eagle 30.jpg

Sample 01.jpgAuckland Harbour Bridge lit 002 LR.jpg

Sigma Muriwai 001.jpg

IMG_4766 LR.jpg

Hopefully there is something amongst these to give you confidence that your camera is a capable tool.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

My apologies I do Sports photography and I am doing bird photography with a mix of different types, Here are some of my photos.  The reason I am scared my 80D is getting a spot on it and I am scared Canon won't fix it Sunday (5 of 9).jpgFRvsWT6-4-18-199.jpg 

Where is the spot Mike?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements