cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon camera refuses to open files

Canonhelppls
Contributor

two days ago when I was plugging up my canon into my computer the files for Canon opened and I could look at the pictures I have taken. now today when i try to plug it up, the computer goes to "set up device" instead of opening the file name for the pictures??? how can i fix this? P.S i have a canon20d

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Allow the computer to "set up the device" you just plugged into the USB port.  This behavior varies from one brand of PC to the next, and the state of your operating system updates.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

it says that the device is unavailable 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Were any changes made to the computer like an OS update?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

yes there was an update

What OS are you using?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Windows 10!

The suggestion I have is to check for updates again and see if MS has released additional updates to fix problems.

Could you use a card reader?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I actually don't have one. I will try that

I never plug the camera directly into my computers, I use a card reader that is permanently attached and just switch the card from the camera to the card reader. It is simpler, faster and doesn't use up the camera battery.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements