cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First SLR, is there a preferred lens cleaning solution.

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Complete (if old) beginner and still awaiting SD card to make a start, so that new.
Camera is a used 1000D in excellent condition and will be my learning camera, may well be all I need we will see.

So I will need to clean the lens at some point, I found a kit with spray bottle (empty) and the usual bits.

Question is what fluid should I put in the empty bottle, or should I just buy a full one known maker.  
Either way are there solutions to avoid or others that are regularly used ?  Just don't want my first act to be to mess up the lens.  Any help appreciated, I just want to have something to hand in case I need it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The cloths should last a while.  As to if they can be washed, that would depend upon the manufacturer.

Regarding cleaning of the sensor, I would only want Canon to handle that.  Others here may provide advice on if attempting to do it yourself.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, all useful info.  I will look at filters when next buying stuff.
As the camera is older a simple solution is welcome, as stated above not a worrying expense to replace a lens.  I bought from a firm in Finland of all places, I am in France, and they delivered the camera cleaned and serviced.
I was very pleased with the condition as like new, cost (relatively) peanuts at 120 euros for canon 1000d with zoom 18-55 3.5-5.6 lens incl battery etc.  So you can see not the end of the world if I mess up, not that I want to as a beautiful camera and way better than I have ever had.  A replacement lens is about 60 euros ( a $ is worth 90cents in euros so similar).

My plan is to learn on this one and then maybe buy newer but for me it is a hobby, I mainly want to photograph insects and flowers etc in the area and this should do nicely.  I will do my best to keep it as I got it but can afford to mess up. There was a series here called Small objects of desire 🙂 it was all those things you wanted but couldn't have when younger, this is one of mine. I couldn't afford an SLR way back in the 70s and after a while gave up and just took 'snaps', and not many at that.
Now I have time to learn a new skill I think I will enjoy it, there are loads of good tutorials online. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I mainly want to photograph insects and flowers etc in the area and this should do nicely. "

Depending on exactly how close you want the insects or flowers, too, you may be disappointed in the 18-55mm lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

I went for the cheap option of extender rings, again to see how I get on to see if I should invest in a macro lens.

This is where I get my stuff and these seem reasonable, some macro ones there

[Removed 3rd party link per Community Guidelines]

I saw someone who said most serious photographers are likely to have a favourite lens they won't part with rather than a favourite camera body.  
Sounds plausible and the camera body I have will do me I think, just better lenses in time ?  I will consult here before making any decisions, I will give it 6 months to get used to this first.
Just took my first 10 photos, rubbish but the last one was better but not great.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens to compliment your 18-55mm lens. It has limited macro capabilities, but is a nice lens for outdoors and nature photography. It can focus to within 2.8 ft. It goes used for about $185.

There is also a Canon EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM that is a good all-around lens. It goes for about $230 and can focus to within 1.3 ft. Neither is a true macro lens but have good image quality.

A more expensive option is a Canon EF 100mm f2.8 L Macro L IS USM for about $680 used. It is a superb lens for macro and general photography. It can be used with a newer EF mount or EF-S mount cameras if you upgrade your camera at a later date.

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Thanks for that, seems I just missed one but I will keep a lookout for one.

Looks like I missed one but there will be another 🙂  [Removed 3rd party link per Community Guidelines]

There is a 135 one but says minor dust fault but no worries I will keep checking from time to time as I would prefer a low to no fault one. [Removed 3rd party link per Community Guidelines]

Thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Those are not the ones that I am recommending. You have to search the exact model number that I have typed in above. Those are older models and not as good as the ones that I am recommending.

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

thanks, will do that when ready to buy.

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Just seen the links removed, sorry about that.  I did look to see if links were allowed but didn't find anything against, most don't allow it to stop advertising so I was surprised, now I know. 
I did find the lenses specified on Amazon for just a little more than US prices so not bad.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I saw someone who said most serious photographers are likely to have a favourite lens they won't part with rather "than a favourite camera body."

A favorite lens isn't much use if you don't have a camera. I would put it a different way. If you are upgrading it is  usually better to upgrade the lens before upgrading the camera.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
  • Promotion of third party products, promotions, websites, organizations, goods or services.

" I did look to see if links were allowed but didn't find anything against, most don't allow it to stop advertising..."

It is pretty clear to me.

EB
click here to view the gallery
Announcements