cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T3 Lens Recommendations for Golf Photography

Seanpgolf101
Contributor

I currently have a stock Eos rebel T3. Near to photography. I would like to use it for golf course photography only. It would be mostly of the actual golf course. Still photos. I hear early morning or late at night at best times to shoot, I'm sure that will effect which lense. What lense(s) should I consider purchasing? Should I consider purchasing a used lense?

The camera is at least 7-8 years old, is this camera too outdated? Also, any help or guidance for additional education would be appreciated! Thank you so much! 

19 REPLIES 19

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Your camera should work fine but its quite old now. What lenses do you currently have right now. Do you have a budget to spend on a lens. Your current camera will struggle with low light especially the AF system will too. If you plan on going with a new camera look into the EOS R series mirrorless cameras. DSLR cameras are NOT being further developed now. So a mirrorless camera is recommended now instead of a DSLR. Do you have a budget to spend on a new camera if you plan to upgrade.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

the lense that came with it is a EFS 18-55 mm

says macro 0.25m/0.8ft

What is your budget to spend on a lens. What exactly are you trying to shoot the golfers. Or the golf course itself. If it's the golf course itself a telephoto lens isn't needed. An ultrawide angle lens is needed then. The EF-S 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM or EF-S 10-18mm F/4.5-5.6 IS STM lens would be best for this application. If you're taking pictures of the golfers it depends on how far you'll be from them. The EF 70-200mm lenses are good so is the EF 70-300mm F/4.0-5.6 IS II USM lens. So would the EF-S 55-250mm F/4.0-5.6 IS STM lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you for the time to answer my question. I would like to spend less than $1,500. This would just be as a hobby. I am looking to shoot golf courses and not necessarily golfers swinging. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Sean and welcome to the forum:

Much depends on your intent in terms of what you want to invest, how serious you are about the activity and what you will produce.
1 - If you have a budget it would be helpful to know what that is.  This would include your total outlay for both camera and lens.

2 - Is your intent purely out of interest or do you hope to work semi or fully professionally in this area.  The more serious you are about the activity, the more you will have to consider investing.  For example, if you were to say your were working professionally, then you need to guarantee for your clients good images.  That no only means capturing engaging images that are technically proficient, but having a back up for the capture and storage of those images: either by having two cameras, or a camera with dual cards.

3 - What are you going to shoot?  When you say you are taking images of the golf course itself, are you doing so to record the design of the courses rather than the activities therein?  I am thinking of someone studying or engaging in golf course engineering work per se, or is this for aesthetic reasons: i.e. landscapes on the theme of golf courses - either of which might be served by taking pictures when the sun is low to highlight the contours.

4 - What you are going to produce is significant too.  This can range from images for publishing on social media, or on digital devices, through to high resolution images or prints.  The investment in equipment is significantly greater for the latter.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

1) Budget around $1,0000$1,500

2)This would just be as a hobby, maybe start an instagram page and post golf course photos to it. I would like to shoot landscape, golf course and not action shots or golfers swinging.

3) Landscape

4)Social media possible or personal prints.

I have been reading I need to get a tripod. Are tripods interchangeable? For example, if I just get a better lense for my existing camera can I use the same tripod for a further down the road upgraded camera. Do you have any recommendations for tripods?

Thank you for clarifying with your answers, especially as regards your intentions.   Honestly, as Ernie says, I would suggest sticking with what you have, with the possible exception of the pancake lens that Bill (Waddizzle1) suggested. 

As regards a polarizing filter.  They are really only effective in dealing with reflections off water - when one wants to see into the water rather than what is reflected on it, or to intensify colours when the sun is at right angles to the lens - usually most often at midday.   Using such a filter costs you about one stop of light and for early morning/evening shots, you don't want that.

Consider shooting in misty or drizzly conditions (with the latter, make sure you protect your camera from moisture).  The light filtered through trees in misty conditions can offer great images; and sunsets, while initially exciting, can become a cliché if overdone.  See work by: (27) Courtney Victoria - YouTube and Courtney Victoria Photography - Outdoor Photographer. Courtney is a bit of a character with a wicked sense of humor, so still with the dance sequence to get to the photography - it's worth it. Simon Baxter is a respected woodlands photographer (27) Simon Baxter - YouTube.  His images can be found at Simon Baxter Photogaphy 

Tripods can be useful and they come with mounting plates that incorporate universal screws that mount into the base of your camera, so a tripod should fit any normal camera.

Yes, eventually when you have shot for a while, you will likely outgrow your current setup, then consider what is available in the market.  Likely, you will go for one of the R-series bodies and lenses, but that may be a while away and you can save up for a bigger budget.  In the meantime, use what you have (given the lens suggestion) and learn how to make the most of your gear.  Equipment without skill is a wasted investment.

I would suggest that you consider a couple of things to bring you up to speed with using a conventional camera.
Consider the following video: by National Geographic photographer Chris Bray
(27) Learn Photography - Simple, Practical - Free Photography Course 1/10 - YouTube

Also, consider joining a local camera club or photographic society - the folks there are usually very happy to share with new members.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Awesome thank you so much. I will definitely watch those tonight 

f8_Rebel
Apprentice

It would seem that you want to take some landscape shots of golf courses. I would say to match what you've got, which is no slouch of a camera, just a little old, the kit lens would do a good job. You could go for the EFS 10-18 IS STM which is affordable and quite good. Or even the 24mm "pancake" lens could give good results. If you'd like to get closer, the EFS 55-250 IS STM is more than capable, and the EF 70-300. Lots of choices that would give good results. At those hours of the day a tripod is a must. Oh, and to get those deep greens and early morning blues I suggest a polarizing filter. Just my thoughts, golf courses are quite scenic at those hours.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements