cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First SLR, is there a preferred lens cleaning solution.

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Complete (if old) beginner and still awaiting SD card to make a start, so that new.
Camera is a used 1000D in excellent condition and will be my learning camera, may well be all I need we will see.

So I will need to clean the lens at some point, I found a kit with spray bottle (empty) and the usual bits.

Question is what fluid should I put in the empty bottle, or should I just buy a full one known maker.  
Either way are there solutions to avoid or others that are regularly used ?  Just don't want my first act to be to mess up the lens.  Any help appreciated, I just want to have something to hand in case I need it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The cloths should last a while.  As to if they can be washed, that would depend upon the manufacturer.

Regarding cleaning of the sensor, I would only want Canon to handle that.  Others here may provide advice on if attempting to do it yourself.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

rs-eos
Elite

I never use liquids on any of my lenses or filters.  I use a combination of a Lenspen cleaning kit along with lens cleaning tissues (sensei brand).

If the lens contacts are scratched, soiled or have fingerprints on them, Canon recommends using a soft cloth (that's how it's outlined in the manuals for the three lenses I own).

--
Ricky

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, I have been watching a few videos on camera use etc and came accross cleaning, by Simon d'Entremont for no other reason that he appeared on youtube when I was looking.  Seems reasonable and he advised blowing off dust then brushing and then if needed cleaning by spraying a solution onto a cloth and not direct the lens to clean it. 
All sounded plausible, same thing on outer and inner lens and finally the connection ring and contacts with the same cloth.
Basically I can skip the fluid then and just need a small blower for dust and the brush/circular pad 'pen' along with some cleaning cloths.
One last question on cloths, I assume they are not reusable/washable but do they last a while?  I can buy a kit with a couple loose or one with a dozen in sealed packets.

He also mentioned cleaning the sensor but I will give that a miss for a few months I think 🙂

The cloths should last a while.  As to if they can be washed, that would depend upon the manufacturer.

Regarding cleaning of the sensor, I would only want Canon to handle that.  Others here may provide advice on if attempting to do it yourself.

--
Ricky

I would agree with Ricky that you should let Canon do the sensor cleaning.  Don't take it to a local camera store for that type of service either unless you are absolutely sure that they have someone who is truly capable instead of the person who also changes watch batteries and other cheap tech stuff.  A properly cared for camera shouldn't need sensor cleaning often.

I have cleaned sensors on several of my camera bodies but I use the right products to do so and more importantly I have spent a lot of time working on precision electronics that are a lot more complex, fragile, and expensive than the image sensor and its fellow travelers in the camera image chamber.  Learning precision work practices by starting with an image sensor is not a good plan.

I seldom change lenses while at an event but if you do so, then change quickly and I would start by popping the camera end cap off the next lens and blow out any dust before attaching.  With proper care, sensor cleaning (especially with the "self dust removing" sensor setup on most current cameras) will be a very infrequent event.

For your lens, a rocket or similar squeeze blower is a primary lens cleaning tool and don't forget to have the lens aimed downward so the debris will be less likely to land back on the lens after blowing it off. 

Except for my "great white" lenses which have a very large front element that will not accept a protective front filter, my other lenses all get a high quality clear glass "filter" as soon as they come out of their new box.  Quality filters aren't cheap but they are far less expensive than a damaged front element.  With those in place, I am far less worried about lens cleaning and if necessary at an event I will wipe it off quickly with whatever is handy.  The deep lens hoods on the great white series does a great job of protecting the front element from splash and those only get cleaned when I am back home.  Canon uses a tougher outer coating on these large elements but I don't care to empirically test the toughness so I treat them with great care.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Charentejohn
Enthusiast

Thanks Ricky that will keep me going for now and I can order the basic kit. 
I have still to use the camera as awaiting my SD card delivery but just wanted to understand the cleaning as when out and about is not the time to be wondering what's best 🙂 

On the sensor cleaning I agree, the camera cleans it and I will try not to let dirt in by keeping the standard lens on unless I need to mess with it. Ok for the experienced maybe if they have to because of wildlife shots etc but I can take my time to avoid problems.

Thanks again, John

Oh, one last thing.  Hope you've ordered a full-sized SD card from a reputable brand.  Micro-sized SD cards that work with adapters are known to be problematic.

--
Ricky

normadel
Authority
Authority

You will find a huge number of proponents for having a filter on the front of your lens, either UV or Protective, to keep the delicate lens surface from getting dirty in the first place. An equal number will say that a filter degrades optical quality and you should not use one.

You make your choice. I've been using filters to protect my lenses for 60 years. Never had to touch the front surface of a lens to clean with anything. Do you want to suffer a slight loss of image quality (doubtful), or risk damage in cleaning (very possible)?

Many would say that a lens hood (a very good idea) negates need for a filter. Not so. Rain, splashes, dust & dirt very easily get in a hood. The hood also protects against impact damage to the front of a lens. 

Protective filters and hoods give you an expendable barrier. They are cheap compared to a lens. Better to damage a filter from too much cleaning, than damaging your lens.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is my recommendation for lens cleaning. Go to your eye doctor. They, at least mine, gives me lens solution and cleaning cloth and they are free. But wait there's more. A lens should not require cleaning very often to perhaps never. Depending on lens value an appropriate protecto lens filter is always a better idea. You clean it instead of your lens.

You have a 15 year old camera and lens. I hope it has been taken care of over the years but it may need a good cleaning if not. Afterword put a protecto filter on it and from then on clean the filter. Not the lens. Not the only choice but as an example the Tiffen 55UVP 55mm UV Protection Filter is a good inexpensive choice about ten bucks.

Do not attempt to clean the camera sensor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"A lens should not require cleaning very often to perhaps never." "You have a 15 year old camera and lens"

I have lenses that are 15+ years old that have never been cleaned.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements