cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixma MX490 Keeps Cycling

elstx61
Contributor

Canon Pixma MX490 powers on and goes through initialization, then powers back off.  Keeps repeating the process as long as it's plugged in.  Buttons are non-responsive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mike

Your satisfaction is important to us, and we apologize for any inconvenience you may be experiencing.  A firmware update is available to fully resolve this issue.   You can download the firmware update and find easy installation instructions at canon.us/power.

View solution in original post

354 REPLIES 354

In this thread someone posted a solution that I used and it worked perfectly. From memory, you have to turn off your wifi so your printer will stay on. Access the SETUP menu, go to WEB SERVICE SETUP, then DNS SERVER SETUP. Configure an IP from your internal network that is not in use. (I simply changed the last three digits of my printer's original by one number). Once configured, press OK. Select NO option and press OK. Wait a few moments, then return to the menu, press HOME button on printer. Turn the access point (wifi router or modem, whichever one you turned off). Go to the printer menu, if necessary, to help its wifi "find" your signal again and you should be in business! 

lagrangehill
Apprentice

This from further up in this same thread:  It works!

italolima
Apprentice

‎05-31-2022 05:16 PM

My printer is a Canon Maxify MB2010. This problem that you are experiencing is because of DNS. I solved my problem by turning off the Access Point (or unplugging the internet cable from the router's WAN port). The printer will turn on normally. Then go to Setup menu > Web service setup > DNS server setup > Manual setup. Configure an IP from your internal network that is not in use or another IP that is not a DNS server, as the printer will not be able to make queries. Once configured, press OK. Select the 'No' option and press OK. Wait a few moments to complete the configuration. After returning to the menu, press the 'Home' button on the printer. Turn the Access Point back on or reconnect the Internet cable and retest. For me this solution worked. As I do not use external services (Google Cloud), there is no need for my printer to consult on the Internet. Hope this helps.

lynnd
Apprentice

I'm in Ontario, Canada. Same issue. Can't get it to stop. It's not our job to fix this mess... Canon, where are you in so this?!

Canon doesn't appear to be interested in fixing this, but you can by following the DNS change instructions posted in a few different places in this thread. 

Simple procedure but requires you to leave printer ON...period! I know it's not good, but at least the printer works. Tho you can repeat of course 😉

Power printer off or while it's off while cycling, unplug it. Then unplug router. Press power button on printer 10 times. Plug printer back in. Then plug router back in. Printer will whine and complain and "index?" a few times but will stop and will be on/functional. First printing job, it will complain and index again but WAIT...it WILL print. Then it will do what you ask. Did several functions: new cartridge, realignment, firmware update, etc. FINE! And I guess they do "index" when they've been sitting, while on, but there's nothing in the "window/screen", so it's not on full power? So I think next print it will index again. I hate it, while I'm waiting for the print to come out! BUT IT WORKS and has for days until I tried another "fix" from Canon that worked once, then next manual power off and back on and it was back to recycling. But sadly, I don't know of any other printer that has the functions I want, especially printing even after the ink is gone and it's printing nothing. Printer "THINKING", then INSISTING, you need ink then disabling your printer is a game to make you buy more ink! I just want a cheap, simple printer for personal use.

Canon wants  us to buy new, upgraded more expensive printers

CorbinWendy
Apprentice

My printer is headed for the dumpster. This is ridiculous.  I've only had it for two years.

There's a work around by changing the DNS number on your printer! Sift thru the posts here and you'll see it reposted by the original author and a few others, myself included. Not sure if you're able to "search" these forum comments by poster's name. 

printnow
Apprentice

MX492… same problem, but the solution was simple for me! All I did was unplug the internet cable from the back of the wireless router and plugged it back in after maybe 10 seconds… I didn’t have to change any settings or anything *\(^o^)/*

webbme
Apprentice

No need to buy a new one yet.

Look at Polls822 comment for understandable instructions to correct this.

Announcements